Defining moment that made you a Saddlers fan

First game 1965 was taken as a one year old child by my late father. Who was a lifelong fan himself attending games for 89 years

He himself was at the famous arsenal game as a boy
So it was my destiny to be a saddler, and would not change a thing,

3 Likes

Although loved playing football as a kid I wasnt that bothered about seeing a game. In the early 70’s I followed Leeds Utd . I used to have Leeds kit with number 8 on the back - Alan Clarke. Never went to a game but had a lovely Leeds mug and tea towel for Christmas once!

Went to my first game at Fellows Park with my Dad. He managed catch a signed football kicked into the crowd. They way he jumped to get it looked incredible to me! We went a few times after but stopped when Dad left. I didnt start going regularly until 1978/79 with my mate @acuman. When I left Walsall, I would catch away matches if they were playing near me. I remember we played Ipswich away in the week. I was living not too far away so I went. I was the only Walsall fan there until just before kick off when the coach arrived! It seemed the whole ground, including the police, were pointing and laughing. I even got chanted at.

1 Like

I’m not from a football loving family by any stretch so I had to find my own path and got into football through primary school. I’m ashamed to say I had big love in with Man United from the age of about 7-9 as that was who most kids followed. Being from Sandwell he only other choice was West Brom.

After joining a local Sunday league side at 9 a few of the lads I played with went to the Junior Saddlers on a Saturday morning, then paid an extra two quid to get into the game. I went along for a few weeks before finally going to the game. They had a great scheme where at half time, members of the Junior Saddlers would go onto the pitch at half time against a similar group of rival supporters. You had run with the ball from half way and score past the opposition supporters keeper. The first time I went to the game I got picked and was hooked from then on in.

Not sure if something similar still goes on in terms of the Junior Saddlers, but it really was a great scheme and got a big number of young lads supporting the club. I missed out on the Oldham promotion game so had a season ticket the following year and have continued to do so ever since

1 Like

SUMO! SUMO! SUMO!

1 Like

I spent all of my infant and junior school years going with my dad to Villa Park and must have seen some of the great players of the day. In 1968 i started the seniors school and being from Beechdale there were ever only two choices … Man Utd or Walsall. As a 12 year old with a few bob in my pocket i chose to hang around with the lads who like me had chosen Walsall knowing that we could afford to go to the matches. My first match was the opening game of the season against Bristol Rovers and we only got a draw, but it was, as the thread suggests my life defining moment and i would never look back or doubt my choice. Me and my friends were like the kids from the film “Stand by me” and 52 years later we still are. I miss those days but glady am still here to tell the tale, sadly a couple of the original bunch are not.

5 Likes

was slightly interested before it but the liverpool cup games where the main one i was 6 years old at the time started going to games properly in 86 been going ever since my dad has been going since the late 60s and is still a season ticket holder and away regular.

2 Likes

Mentioned it onthis site before on different thread, but Bury at home Jan 1975, Buckley Wright and Andrews the scorers, next match beating Newcastle in cup. Grandad & dad both fans. Though I live hundred miles away my son is a Saddler - he had no choice!

2 Likes

I was born in Portland House on the Wood Green Road ( next to the Catholic High School /J9 retail park ) within eyesight of the Fellow’s Park floodlights to qualify as a true Saddler.

According to my Birth Certificate and Passport I am also officially an honoury Wednesburian

This was Pre M6/J9 days

The building is still there and is now a Day Centre of some kind

My old school which is also still there.

2 of a kind mate :+1:

Hi Cats. I’ve got a feeling that you were not the only saddler on that 529 bus. Do you have a strange fondness for Gary Numan? Did your husband go to St Peter’s School in Wolverhampton?

1 Like

Yes that’s me. I’m intrigued now.

Fantastic :slightly_smiling_face: Glad you’re alive, kicking and still supporting the saddlers. You need to dig deep into your memory!!

You will have to give me a clue, I can think of several people you could be.

I used to get the same bus from the 1982/3 season. Walked to Fellows Park with you a few times from the 529 stop. I went to the same school as your husband but I’m a couple of years younger. I was a bit punky back then.

I think you may be Paul. I did wonder given the mentioning of the school. Hope you are keeping well.

Yes, I’m Paul. All well and living in Suffolk. Think we’ve taken over this thread!

1 Like

Get a room :joy: :wink:

3 Likes

I grew up being a saddler as that was bred into me so it was not a defining moment but the season that cemented my life of torment was 1979/80 and the promotion from division 4. The feeling of being part of something special bouncing round the street end game after game. 14 years old and the world was my oyster, we were the pride of the black country

1 Like

From the age of four, being subject to sustained mental abuse and essentially ‘groomed’ into following the best club on earth.

To say that I’m conflicted about the past 4 decades of mostly agonising disappointment, punctuated by brief episodes of intense euphoria is an understatement.

2 Likes