Derby (A), Boxing Day 1985

Did you go to that cup game ?

I can’t remember? the only thing i can remember about going to the Baseball ground was walking down some dark ally, with a high tin fence and getting bricked :joy:

I was only 19 at the time so i guess you would have been quite a lot younger.

1 Like

Lee Bradbury?

Sorry mate, no idea. I will look it up tomorrow.

There was a 2:2 draw in the championship when Zigor scored a very late penalty to equalise (at the far end). Martin O’Connor was playing and we all assumed he would take it, as he’d always been so successful in his previous spells, so we were shocked when Zigor stepped up, but he made no mistake.

Lee Bradbury

Phil Gee (of Pelsall) made his debut for Derby in that match RamsTV Relived: Phil Gee’s Derby County Story - From Non-League Striker To Promotion Winner - Blog - Derby County

1 Like

Almost as bad as Spanish TV in the 1982 World Cup spelling Peter Withe as “Peter White”!

Yes! Look at the bottom 3. Where are they now?! I’m glad we’re in a better position than them. Oh, wait…

We definitely are in my view :wink:

I got as far as the Baseball Ground that Boxing Day only to find the game was off. No UTS in those days to keep us informed.

I actually went out witrh his sister Joe for several years …if you’re out there message me

I would have been more ■■■■■■ off if i had travelled from HK :laughing:

2 Likes

It wasn’t too bad. I was working in Helsinki at the time.

1 Like

I went to that match and was delighted when Phil Gee’s name was announced as I played for the same Sunday League club as him and Steve Essex.
Remember also going to Wembley to see Steve play for Gresley in the FA Trophy final against Kidderminster.
Phil was so quick (at my level) and obviously quick enough to have had a decent professional career.
If I recall correctly it was at Steve’s stag night in Blocko that Phil got recommended to Roger Davies and from there his rapid progress started.
I haven’t seen Phil for over 30 years.
Kept in touch with Steve, but he very sadly passed away last year.

1 Like

Phil was a brilliant player and a good kid to boot , I was courting his sister at the time , and I also went to the same school as Steve , we both played in the school football team together , where does the time go

There are a couple of videos on the Derby website featuring Phil. Does he still live in Pelsall? What junior team did he play for? Shame that Walsall never picked him up.