Desert Island Goals

That’s the one :+1:

Thanks.

Allinh

Was the Buckley one when he dribbled the ball all along the line virtually from the corner flag before scoring? Memory is fading but he did score so many.

Yes, sir. Great memory!

The winning goal against Forest (too many to itemise! :rofl:)

Bar the obvious from my ear - Oldham, Cardiff, Swindon, West Brom:

1. Rambo away at West Brom in 1999. My first away game, living and going to school in Sandwell, a much bigger game for me personally than either of the Wolves clashes at that time

2. Bradshaw at Preston. Although Forde’s free kick put us in the driving seat, Bradshaw’s really cemented our chances of getting to Wembley

3. Butler at the Custard Bowl - again for bragging rights.

4. Jorge’s first at Charlton. After a good few months of little or no quality, for the team and him personally, Jorge pulled that out of the bag. It felt like a massive cup scalp at the time too

5. Manny Smith, Boxing Day against Sheff Wednesday. One of the best atmospheres at Bescot, mostly to do with the numbers Wednesday travelled in. A last minute winner of real quality too

Not for the goal itself, and I can’t even remember who it was against, but the one and only time Jeff Peron troubled the scorer while playing for us was an emotional moment for him, his team mates and the whole fanbase who were willing him to break his duck before he left us.

Peron scored against Wigan, 21 March 1998. the only goal of the game, scored at the Gilbert Alsop end. Vaguely remember it was from around the edge of the box.

2 Likes

This reminds me of Gino Padula. Never scored for us, but did manage an absolute screamer at Bescot playing for Wigan the following season. It was an LDV Vans game and Ian Gaunt scored the winner.

If memory serves me right it was the equaliser as cool as you like and it was a lovely warm late spring Sunday afternoon

Goals seemed to be a bit thin on the ground

1 Like

To be fair, it was a skeleton squad.

1 Like

Bernard made his debut against Port Vale and he and Brian Taylor both scored as we won 2-0, but BT had made his debut the game before. It was one of just two wins in our opening 16 games.

I think I need a trip into the loft to keep up with all this. Programmes, handbooks, pre-season papers and Soccer Stars all live up there with Sports Angus and News Chronicle handbooks not to mention Rothman’s :smiley:

1 Like

Not old enough to have seen that but the best own goal I have seen has to Charlie Ntamark against West Ham in the League Cup mid 90’s.

Tony Barras scored a boster at Gillingham in the Cup one year. But nothing could beat Charlies.

1 Like

Unrivalled.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind it was quite a good finish :joy:

I was close then

I’ll take 4 of those 5 sid - too young to have seen Colin Taylor play - so will substitute Keatsey’s free kick at Swindon (what a day that was!)

1 Like

The second game on that clip
On YouTube is worth watching