Devlin leaves

Wouldn’t have minded if he stayed; similarly not too bothered than he’s left. Further frees up funds for DC and let’s him really put his stamp on the squad. Probably best for both parties that Devlin moves on - wish him (and his young family) all the best.

1 Like

I agree, but our youth production line since Smith left has not been that great.

I doubt very much if we have any decent young players coming through, likely to be up to the rough and tumble of a league two season.

How will we,or Darrell Clarke, ever know unless they are put in the position of pulling a first team shirt on,and seeing how they cope.We’ve had some good 16,17,18yr olds make their debuts over the years,the only way we knew how good they were, was to shove em in at the deep end,and see if they could swim.

Loved the guy’s effort, he sort of made up for his shortcomings as a player with his enthusiasm, i just hope whoever replaces him has the same passion but with better footballing ability.

7 Likes

What have his mom and dad done to upset yah ?

Sorry to see him go. Like most on UTS appreciated his effort and desire. Not best RB but think he would have been a much better wing back.
Wish him all the best.
Worried about Norman, not seen anything to suggest he’s going to be a good RB, ended the season being used as a winger. Hope he proves me wrong

I’d give him a chance. Hardly see him play so can’t really comment but Scarr looked a pub player in his first few starts and he was showing improvement at end of season.

His games at end of season were at right midfield when chasing games for some bizarre reason.

Seems he showed potential at Oxford then got bombed out after falling out with fatty so giving him two and a half year deal was mistake if he has dodgy attitude.

Would prefer Clarke to stay at centre half seeing as he’s coming with good reputation from that position.

1 Like

Good luck Nicky …thanks for your wholehearted performances over the past 2 seasons. All the best for the future.

9 Likes

Good news for Walsall , another well payed player off the payroll.

Wish him all the best mind.

1 Like

I wish him all the best and will check Livingston’s results from time to time to see how he is doing.

1 Like

Disappointed.
Good luck Devo.

We’ve had much worse than him who didn’t the same stick that he got.
100% effort every game, that’s what most supporters demand.

He was often our best attacking option in many games last season, including the last game at Shrewsbury!

2 Likes

I quite like Devlin but he was always likely to drop a clanger - his airshot for Oxford’s second goal against Oxford in April was dreadful defending. He can be replaced.

2 Likes

Happy with this. Expect Leadbitter to arrive now.

Devlin is League 2 standard in England, Premier League in Scotland- says it all about the level of Scottish football! He must have been on a decent whack at Walsall. His wages can be better spent.

2 Likes

A little bit of a tangent here, but I’ve always struggled to understand the derision the Scottish League gets. Yes, its immeasurably weaker than its English equivalent, but the recurring insinuation is that this is due to some sort of mockable failure, that completely disregards the slap-you-in-the-face obviousness that a population of less than six million is never, by the law of averages, going to generate the natural talent pool of a population ten times that size, nor is capable of generating the revenue to attract the cream of overseas talent, or to drastically invest in coaching and infrastructure. The old adage goes: people create jobs create wealth. Or similar. There is a simple reason why Germany’s economy is so large, for example.

In fact, if you remove the anomaly that is Russia, on the grounds that it is geographically so enormous (& population density therefore becomes a factor), then the correlational relationship between Europe’s top football leagues (England, Spain, Germany, Italy, France) and largest populations is undeniable. The Dutch consistently do very well, by this measure.

Around 50% of the Scottish population live within a 30 mile radius of Glasgow, because a significant proportion of the landmass has been rendered difficult to inhabit, due to the terrain shaped by the ice age. Scotland is smaller, population wise than (probably) Yorkshire and (definitely) London… as a comparator, under the current English structure, that would put Harrogate Town or Barnet in the Premier League. The likes of Stenhousemuir are actually little more than village teams.

Truth is, when you look at the domestic league strength of significantly larger countries than Scotland (eg. Sweden, Austria, Romania… let’s be honest- Belgium), is the SFL really as poor as so many would have you believe?

3 Likes

And with Berwick Rangers being relegated there are no longer any English sides in the leagues up there.

He got stick because he made some god awful mistakes which cost us goals in important matches. I liked his attitude and he was quite skilful going forward but he was signed as a defender and he didn’t deliver in that department.

1 Like

He was signed as a wing back not full.back. Loved his passion.

2 Likes

Back to Richard Taundry -I have got passion but I was a bloody awful footballer.

1 Like

Good explanation…but Scottish football is still sh!te!