Dutton in

So we want…

The right Dutt in?
The wrong Dutt out?
In?
Out?
In?
Out?

Opinions certain seem to have shaken all about this season!

7 Likes

Really?

How about Perry and Clarke, or the improvement in Osadebe?

5 Likes

That is going to be part of the DOF’s role isn’t it? Improving coaching at the club, which I assume will mean bringing in some people.

Improving players is a huge part of having any kind of success for a club like Walsall. You can only do that by having good coaches.

3 Likes

That’s where I am at.

Yesterday was a big positive step forward, but I am always happy to update my (Bayesian :smiley:) priors given new data.

Still had to show me more over these 6 games - if he does then fair play to the bloke.

2 Likes

Yes I agree perry has a bright future let’s hope they both stay.

2 Likes

Personally I’m more concerned with next seasons budget and our ambition to bring in good players , than I am with the Managerial appointment.

Call me mad but if we sign another load of rubbish it doesn’t mater who’s in charge.

4 Likes

Not really. I’m not fickle enough to think one win absolves 13 bad to bang average performances :man_shrugging:

I called this weeks ago. Terrible management, then one win would be painted as an achievement and our fans would eat it up.

Yes I’m criticizing fans who are willing to give Dutton a chance after how pathetic he’s been we need experience that’s what YOU and other people have said before this solitary win and I thought it was embarrassing when people wanted Whitney in it’s small club mentality you are more confused than Scooby Doo you are you change your mind to the extreme on most topics especially potential managers if you want Dutton in next season fair enough but then if we are 15th in the league after 10 game’s don’t spend your entire time going to the games booing the bloke and saying he’s ■■■■ because everyone knows that’s what you will be doing.

We need to have 2 or 3 players that can do damage at the top end of the pitch. Making a team more solid should be relatively easy for any coach worth their salt. Maybe not easy but organising a football team is something you can work on even with players. If you don’t have any quality at the top end of the pitch it is always going to be a struggle.

2 Likes

Exactly, what with a goal scorer and Holden in the team at least 3 of those draws would be wins.

…He was a very naughty boy for not winning a game in thirteen.

6 Likes

I haven’t posted on here and when I was a few weeks back, I was very much at an emotional disposition in regards to the club. I was narky to posters such as belphegor and to him and any others I apologise. I’ve sat back and read through the various views. To that end I am prepared to say they have taught me
Something and I’m prepared to say it probably shows such posters maturity and emotional balance compared to myself :rofl:.

Where I am now it, is Dutton in. I am drawn to the man, and nearly cried for him yesterday. It’s very much the underdog story which, having followed the club for 23 years, I’ve found relatable. I see improvements and players playing for Brian. Whether they are terrible or in awful form (Gordon etc) I don’t know, but they’ve not stopped. Those who have (Wes) have been bravely frozen out.
However there needs to be metrics met and correct moves going forward. Walsall fc and the boardroom now sit on the precipice of calamity or progress and ambition. The staff and Brian need to be backed with a more quality players because at the moment we only have two or three max. The club needs to engage with the town and supporters. Next season, the bescot needs to be a happy place. We don’t need to shaft everyone every week, but we need courage, variance of quality and guts. The next two decisions recruitment and marketing-wise need to be nigh on perfect. I firmly believe it’s that crucial. I agree with geordie saddler in that it takes four quality signings and a known positional routine.
I haven’t been swayed by one win and complete understand why some are still so dismayed and may continue to be. It’s all very well being the underdogs but we can no longer carry the smallsall, losers, tacky tinpot mentality. Simple.

5 Likes

A change of Manager sometimes brings instant success, which can be deceptive. Further down the line the “new Messiah” is sacked, a victim of the initial success and raised expectations which aren’t met, (Askey at the Vale). On occasions we have been dreadful this season but there have been games when with better luck we would’ve won, Crawley and Newport come to mind. Our league position is down to the number of draws which, with players who could finish would have been turned into wins. We all know where we need to strengthen, easier said than done. Fortunately, no-one on this site will be responsible for deciding whether Dutton gets the job for next season. I hope he gets the opportunity and I hope he does well. When Graydon was appointed we had almost gone down the previous season. He inherited some honest players who wanted to play for the club and picked up three or four who made us into promotion material. He made us difficult to beat, 2 banks of 4 and I think we were lucky with injuries that season and most of the side was settled, bolstered with some good loanee’s. Graydon replaced Sorenson, a very populist manager who criticised the Board and the DoF, Paul Taylor. This played well with some supporters but Sorenson had a very talented squad which were nearly relegated. I’m pretty sure no Walsall supporter would’ve appointed Graydon and many would have kept Sorenson. Funny old game.

2 Likes

My personal view is that I could see the difference after his first game you could see they were trying to pass out from the back and I found myself sitting there thinking that’s all well and good but with these tools at your disposal your peeing against the wind Brian.

Now credit where it’s due he’s actually surpassed my expectations in terms of getting more than I thought he would out of these players in terms of passing the ball,movement,solidity,fight,hunger,desire because they all run through a wall for him that’s plain for all to see.

My biggest issue was that’s all well and good but you haven’t won a game after 14 games and football is a results business,but luckily for Brian he’s been given the chance to continue until he gets one.It’s going to be interesting to see what happens next because this is a pivotal moment with the fans in my opinion as he needs to show he’s not a one win wonder.

If Brian goes onto win 4 of the next 6 and maybe picks up another draw along the way he will win quite a few fans over because it’s going to install a feeling of anticipation for next season with people saying if we start like this we will be right in the mix but if it goes the other way and we go back to drawsall again it’s going to have the opposite effect.

So for me it’s an interesting final few games of the season see what he can do now after his first win and make a decision on the next 6 games not his previous 15 or whatever it was.

3 Likes

Man annoyed that fans give credit where it’s due and criticise when warranted.

4 Likes

There’s one thing giving credit where it’s due it’s another thing going from saying someone is useless one min to saying I’ve changed my mind give the man the job after one win

But apparently not magnanimous enough to appreciate that improvements have been made. Almost everyone else has at least engaged with some modest reappraisal of Dutton going forward.

Doesn’t mean he’s the new messiah (copywrite SaddlerSteve), just not the naughtiest of naughty boys. :grinning:

3 Likes

I haven’t said we haven’t improved have I? Improved from what he put together in the first few games of his own reign.

Too little too late to think he’s the man going forward though.

People say this is the worst team they’ve seen in 40 years, but this may be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think it’s that bad at all.

I’ve said several times over the past few months that we haven’t had a settled, fully fit team all season due to us never having our so called best xi available all at one time.

Especially over the last 4 months since we be Vale at home which is where it all started to go downhill.

Clarke, Scarr, Holden, Gordon, Rose, Lavery have all had time on the sidelines, White and Kinsella both have had three game bans, we haven’t had a permanent Left Back all season as we’ve had four different players in that position, we sold our best goalscoring striker and didn’t replace him and the manager decided to jump ship halfway through the season.

Now yesterday was the first time in a long while that we had pretty much our best team available and we won, coincidence?

You can also add the contribution of Sam Perry who i think will be the next big thing, he’s exactly the sort of midfielder we’ve been missing and yesterday he was absolutely superb.

Our goals against tally isn’t too bad, especially recently where we seem to be alot more solid and less individual mistakes compared to the first half of the season, it’s our goals for that we should be looking at to improve next season as the strikers we have at the moment aren’t good enough.

3 Likes

Much improved yesterday and a much happier Saturday night.

Is he the man for next season? At this moment I still have big doubts.