EFL Cup 2nd round

That’s true. Lots of clubs in the northern half of the draw that will take huge away followings, basically none in the southern. Tranmere have an opportunity to write their own cheque, in a very similar manner to what we did with the Villa friendly, very nice while the transfer window is still open.

I wonder what the aggregate attendances will be northern v southern section in round 2, I would guess significantly skewed.

Yep Wolves , Villa , Leicester, Newcastle , Leeds, Forrest would have all been potential sell outs.

You could even make an argument for West Brom and Derby attracting a good crowd.

A (rough) visual representation of a rigged draw. No prizes for identifying which red dot is us!

4 Likes

Guessing they tried to minimise travel times and distance for the larger clubs.

The one where we won 2-0 when we were 3-0 down from the first leg, I seem to remember Peter Hart missing a great chance from a corner in the last minute inside the 6 yard box. Not sure why that has stuck in my mind. Was up the Laundry end, prodded it wide.

1 Like

Not exactly a plum draw but we at home and gives us every chance to progress further to hopefully a bigger pay day .
Plus of course its always nice to put one over the cockneys ,well Londoners anyway !

Wot? No mention of our home defeat in the second round of the F A Cup in 1972? Having overcome the mighty Kettering in a replay I thought this would be a win for us, having already spanked Charlton in the league at FP. Geoff Morris scored our goal, can’t remember who scored for them but I know Keith Peacock and Arthur Horsfield were there then so a chance at least one of them scored. Played on a Tuesday, don’t remember why, presumably snow or something the previous Saturday.
The crowd for the cup game was 1,000 higher than for the earlier league game.

In 78-79 they beat us in the League Cup second round, again 2-1, Buckley notched ours, don’t know about theirs but it was the days of Hales and Flanagan so what are the odds? Incidentally, the second round that season was just the one leg, but I’ve no idea why.*

*They didn’t start the second round two legged thingy until 79-80, I thought they started in the 70s. I think I’m mixing myself up because we played PNE twice in 77-78 and I assumed it was two legs but actually the second game in 77-78 was a replay. It was nonsense anyway but survived a long time, Forest, West Ham, Chelsea, all played over two legs in round 2. It wasn’t nonsense in 84-85 of course, very sensible rule that season.

2 Likes

It’s on Tuesday 23rd August, unless we have to switch it for the TV.

1 Like

So, Tuesday 23rd August…

5 Likes

Leeds vs Barnsley will be the main televised game.

Yes, I had forgotten that. We drew 2-2 with Chelsea at FP and I remember almost hoping that Chelsea would equalise so as not to die on the way out of the ground. We did beat Forest over two legs though.

That was the third round, so the game at the Bridge was a replay. Late equaliser by some bloke called Lee robbed us of a giant killing. We did play them twice in the early 90s in the second round and got hammered both times.

They must have thought “who’s this side here….Walsall! Never seen these in the second round before” and chucked us in the southern to make the numbers up.

3 Likes

Ah that makes sense. No wonder I was scared!

It was scary walking down Hillary Street and onto Wednesbury Road, there were Chelsea fans everywhere.

It’s week commencing 22nd August so theoretically any day that week (e.g. Albion are playing their game against Sheff Utd tonight) but we usually plump for Tuesday rather than Wednesday if we can. Still waiting for the club to confirm what they’ve agreed with Charlton (and Sky’s intended games).

I am hoping it is the 23rd as I’ve got a hospital appointment the next morning and won’t be able to drive for 24 hours after that.

I guess a reason there are some teams south of walsall in the northern section could be so that there is an even split of teams from championship, league 1 and league 2 in each section to make it fairer. There were then a number of champ teams knocked out in the first round which then contributes to making it look skewed.

Either way the draw does us no favours, we could have had a number of derbies which would have guaranteed us either taking big following away or them bringing big following to us. In the circumstances Charlton home is probably best we could hope for although I doubt they will bring many 4-500 maybe…

Tuesday 23rd August 7pm kick off

Same ticket prices as Swindon

Strange Kick off time !!

1 Like