England prospects

Just slightly off topic. I’ve supported Walsall for longer than I care to remember, I’ve seen thousands of players during that time, but only a handful of them I thought has the potential to make it to the top and play for England.
My dad accompanied me to my first Saddler’s game in 1963. there was a young, wafer-thin kid up front named Alan Clarke. After the match, I told dad he was going to play for England one day.
I thought the same about Phil Parks and Scott Dann - how he never got a call up is mystifying.
With the right coaching, Rico Henry had the talent to make it.

Is there anyone you would add to the list?

David Preece springs to mind.

2 Likes

In recent years Rico is the one I thought might make it to that level and can see - subject to his injury problems - getting into a Prem team. Paterson was another one I thought might make it, but a long shot.

I am going throw another name into the ring:

1 Like

Never actually on our books, but I’m always surprised Gary O’Neill never became an England regular.

Michael Ricketts!!! :see_no_evil::poop::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Don Penn.

1 Like

When Scott Dann was in the Prem with Blues, he must surely have been close. I remember their back line getting high praise

I guess you mean England prospects?
If you saw Clarke play in 1963, that would narrow your first game down to one of two -
01/10/63 - v Reading - Clarke’s debut, 56 years ago today.
28/12/63 - v Watford - Clarke’s next appearance that season.

Merse! :speak_no_evil:

Although I realise it wasn’t through playing for us that he played for England!

Now THOSE are some shorts!!
They don’t make kits like they used too!! :joy:

Stuart Ryder would have made it for sure.

1 Like

Ain’t that Lee Sinnott in the pic, and here’s one Ian Paul

1 Like

Another Mark Wallington

Yep, Lee sinnott! Quality 80s kit and player!!

That’s Watford’s kit he’s in

You’re quite right, Timbuktu. I did mean to type prospects.
Thanks for refreshing my memory, I think it was the Reading game you referred to. When I saw Clarke play that day I knew he was destined for greater things.
I just missed seeing Tony Richards play for us, him and Clarke up front would have been a treat to see.
Going back even further, I would loved to have seen Gilbert Alsop play - prolific goal scorer. Unfortunately, we will never see the likes of Alsop, Richards and Buckley again, they broke the mold with those three.

1 Like

If Wacka had been taller?

David Preece, Don Penn,

1 Like

Considering the lack of depth in England forward line in last decade and even now I think Deeney has been pretty unlucky not to get a cap since Watford came up to prem given some of the seasons he’s had.

1 Like

Ian Paul would have been close but for his illness.

I knew it wasn’t quite right, but couldn’t work out what was needed!! Now edited :wink: