Etheridge!

Apparently Cardiff have rejected a bid of £8m. from Dean Smith’s Villa! Wow…

He’ll go for about £10/£12m me thinks, reuniting with Smith & Cutler

Not surprised by this tbh especially with Smith & Cutler knowing him so well.
Like I’ve said before he’s the best walsall keeper I’ve seen.

I wonder how long til he makes an offer to Brentford for Rico?

1 Like

Hope so mate… sure to have a sell on clause!! :+1:

1 Like

Sawyers? Why not bolster the squad! I’d love to see Romaine in the premier league: I genuinely think that he could do a job too.

Makes you realise how bloody marvellous that team actually were and yet it’s a distant memory now…

3 Likes

Sell-on clause? Rather difficult, when he left on free transfer. But who knows :wink:
Good luck for the player. He showed he can be good goalie in Premier League.

1 Like

I think he means Rico, Michal!

3 Likes

Yeah I was referring to Rico Michal :+1:

1 Like

:+1::+1:

1 Like

As much as Bonser gets stick for selling quickly anything that moves and scores…hanging onto Etheridge in January 2017 when the team was firmly in mid table is a real c*** up now with 10m bids coming in.

Seems after all the abuse he got after Fox/Dann in January 2008 he resolved not to sell an important player in January ever again (before people start mentioning Ginnelly the bad winter run started with him very much in the team). Sometimes that is the wrong decision for the future of the club.

1 Like

Yes a very good team, strong in all areas until Bradshaw pulled a hamstring.

It certainly shouldn’t have been finishing below Burton Albion who of course had their own managerial upheaval in December of that season.

1 Like

No problem, I misunderstood. Still I would like to see Sawyers clause active (I always thought he has bigger potential), but this transfer window in 2015/2016 season was far from good one. Sometimes it’s better to sell players sooner, even if it means no promotion in this season, than let them leave for free later.

2 Likes

Not sure he will take the risk. Injuries have prevented him from establishing himself as a potential top flight player.

I’d be surprised if he signed Sawyers, but I suppose as a back up to Grealish it could work.

Etheridge is a good ‘keeper and 10 mill plus is a fair valuation in today’s mad world.

In today’s market and on the back of last season 10 million is about right.

when he left many were referring to him as an average league 1 keeper. :thinking:

4 Likes

Hahah yes, don’t they always…

Some also said Smith was a poor manager, Sawyers was a lazy player…I could go on…

Wow what a dog ■■■■ two years it has been since all of those players pulled on a Walsall shirt.

6 Likes

And, of course, there’s the Troy Deeney sell on to look forward to!

4 Likes

Etheridge was the best shot stopper I’ve seen in a Walsall goal, however is distribution was poor, I knew he’d go onto better things as a high majority of fans thought, maybe a top end championship keeper but never imagined for one minute he’d shine in the premier league, well done to the lad.

2 Likes

Crikey, that every season ending debate!!!

Will it EVER happen?:woozy_face: