Ex-players managing

A member of the thousand club, people who have been in charge for a thousand or more league games in England. Like Dean Smith, he thought there was a right way to play the game, and stuck to it. I think, but correct me if I’m wrong, he’s the only member of the club not to have managed a single game in the top division.

Hmmm, starts to do list of people who didn’t pick a fight with Bernie…too many names, there has to be an easier way… I know, starts list of those who DID pick a fight with Bernie, blimey, can’t think of a single name :laughing:

1 Like

I think you correct on that one.

Only a caretaker for us and never managed anywhere else, but what about Stan Collymore’s favourite Ray Train?

O’Connor was caretaker for a while at Kiddy.

SidSwifty
Don’t know if I’d say he was the best manager,we played some good football,but I think his man management skills were a bit rusty.I think he had a bit of a temper,one story going round was that he had a proper fight with Miah Denney in the dressing room,don’t think he ever picked a fight with Bernie Wright though

Believe that the Buck used to give Miah a lift back to Nottingham, where they both lived, and that Miah was an awkward so and so by all accounts

I don’t know who would be daft enough to pick a fight with Bernie Wright, it would be"lights out" for most of us if he stepped into one.
Buckley may have had a temper, most perfectionists do. Loved him as a player, he produced the best football I have ever seen from a Walsall side under his stewardship in the 1980’s.

1 Like

Yes, Buckley only one of the 1000 club not to manage in top flight

1 Like

Big fat Jan…is manager of Prince of Wales, Tammuth.

4 Likes

Maybe not best manager, probably give that to Sir Ray or Mr Nichol but as a club legend will always be my no 1.

Does anyone remember Danny Hay scoring against Pelsall Villa in a pre-season friendly? Probably in 2002. I think Walsall won 8-0. Andy Sinton was on trial and played left-back. It would be good to see a teamsheet from that day.

1 Like

That volley.

:heart_eyes:

Anyone mentioned Lee Sinnott.

1 Like

David Zdrilic was doing the Gary Linker job for Oz TV last time I was there.

Darren Byfield managing at Alvechurch currently. Think he almost got Walsall Wood promoted last season.

1 Like

Roy McDonagh

he was actually caretaker manager for a couple of NZ games

1 Like

Is Leitao still managing Aruoca?

Just seen he’s in this month’s When Saturday comes, double page feature on him and all the other foreign imports in the later part of the 90s.

Peter Till and Kris Taylor manage Walsall Wood.