Exeter City (H) 17th October, 3pm

Considering the unbeaten run we are on would think Exeter would be pleased with there performance and to come away with a well deserved point to be fair.

The game was very even, with solid defence from both sides. Exeter’s best chances came from the sort of mad errors, from Osadebe messing around just outside the box to Roberts deciding to go for a run out of his goal. In normal play they made no impression.

Elijah was a handful upfront but he can’t play the whole defence by himself. Playing with two holding players can work but it needs one or both of them to be able to link between defence and attack. Guthrie can do this but Sinclair apparently not. He is good defensively but every time he has the ball at his feet he looks to be panicking. Kinsella is not so bad but, with that formation and those players we end up having 6 at the back. And while that might help the defence, it can also lead to us losing possession which adds to the pressure. All too often, the ball ended up with the defenders who hoofed it up the pitch.

Wes did blow hot and cold but he is that sort of player and will always be dangerous.

For the rest of the season, we have to find a way to link up better. Rory, Elijah and Wes are quality at this level. Instead of borrowing two strikers, we might have done better to have picked up a midfielder.

2 Likes

Can’t see anything on our corners.

We seemed to be gently lobbing the ball to their man on the near post. A man who didn’t have a Walsall player within five yards on occasion.

I don’t know if we practice corners or have anything resembling a plan. We need to do and have both.

1 Like

Personally think McDonald looked quiet in the first couple of games, counting the Sheff Wed game, but has kicked on and is on the ball a bit more than he was.
I think people might be expecting a bit much from him, he isn’t going to score or assist in every game, he did that during his purple patch(es) last season, he will do it again at some point but it’s not realistic to expect that to be his standard game.
Also, I think others have stepped up to the plate which takes our reliance off him a little bit.

3 Likes

The corners were better with Guthrie taking them but we don’t seem to have a Rammell or a Butler who is capable of attacking them when they are arrowed into the centre of the box.

2 Likes

I think we had had 10 corners before one got past the first man.

1 Like

I miss the singing down the bescot here’s one for anybody else that does too.

4 Likes

My issue with Wes is he’s a player of 2 halves. You get nothing from him one half and he will light it up in the second or vice versa.
I would like to see a good, regular 90 minute performance out of him (something we have not seen all season).
Cut out the many step overs and use your pace to beat the full back. If he can provide that consistency we will be a much better team moving forward.

I am just watching the film of the same name :grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

Do you remember a bit of a puddin’-shaped Scottish left winger called John Robertson - played for one of Brian Clough’s all-conquering Forest teams, way back? He actually wasn’t very fast or anything special but somehow Clough turned him into a very effective provider. He would get the ball, do some sort of shimmy over two yards and get the ball across into the box on a regular basis. Didn’t seem to do much else but Forest scored loads of goals from his crosses. Perhaps we could get a spirit medium to get in touch with Cloughie to find out how he did it :smiley:

1 Like

That’s what made me put it up mate BBC 2 John Wayne western my dad just messaged me and said he could have listened to that audio yesterday whilst watching on ifollow :rofl:

2 Likes

Great film, and if you’re watching it on BBC iPlayer, Fort Apache is also available there.

1 Like

Fatty Robbo’s favourite trick was to knock the ball past a defender then throw himself into his back to win a free kick for obstruction. Refs always seemed to fall for it, despite it looking so obvious. He got picked for Scotland, so got his comeuppance.

Exactly, why not introduce shooting practice too…what do we actually ‘do’ in training?
We have cobbled together a decent squad that could get promotion.
WE want promotion, back to where we belong, so come on DC try to introduce some guile, so that we become a team to cause terror to the also-rans of this awful division!

1 Like

At fourth division level a decent ability to attack and defend set pieces can make a world of difference.

2 Likes

You’d think with Scarr’s height he’d be dominating them but it dosen’t quite happen.

4 Likes

Was so frustrating Saturday when we got corner after corner and Holden kept on delivering the same ball to the front post only for it to get cleared time after time. Could not help but feel give me the ■■■■■■■ ball I will show you where to put it . :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I never really followed his career. If Cloughie liked him, he must have met a certain standard to get into a Clough side, he didn’t suffer fools, did he?
Now there was a good old-fashioned First division manager if ever there was one. Not one to mince words was Brian.