Favourite Opening Day Memories

Was Brighton the 9 man win one as described by Ant Gerrard in the podcast?

Remember this game quite well. One thing that springs to mind is loads of Tranmere fans drinking in the Wharf Bar before the game and a few jumping in the cut for their monthly (and that’s giving them credit) bath

No that was different one, I think the previous season.

1 Like

Yeah I was absolutely disgusted at the time. Part of a football stadium closed on the opening day because of a wedding! Absolute joke and typical of Jeffrey and those other 2 who have now been forgiven it seems :crazy_face:

Nobody else seemed that bothered, but I would never envisage LP allowing that.

Very vivid memories of that Tranmere game for me, for one particular reason…

Grigg had departed that summer, and one of the blokes I go regularly with was questioning rather vociferously where our goals were coming from in the imminent season, at 14:50ish. Well, I do enjoy winding him up from time to time, so to this end I dramatically insisted that Westcarr would step up and hit 15 goals that season. Andy laughed, and bet me £20 that it wouldn’t happen… I wasn’t having my bluff called, so I took it. His exact following words were “we’ll be sat here in January, still waiting for him to open his account.”

So when the ball hit the net at the away end, about 75 seconds into the new season, there were a couple of players obscuring our view of the shot… no-one that entire season leapt higher than me when Westcarr ran away with his arm in the air, and I turned to the next seat to see the only person in all 3 Walsall ends sporting a look of pure, aghast horror. His second priceless quote of the day came at 3-1, when 2 goal Westy was subbed so he get his standing ovation… “Quick- get him off, before he gets a f****** hat-trick!”

He did pay up in full in the April!
The other crystal clear memory that day was Ashley Hemmings having an absolute blinder, an event rarer than Andreas Makris goals.

Must have been some game…

https://www.issawalsall.org/post/19-8-1961-walsall-4-sunderland-3

2 Likes

We made the headline in the Sporting Star…

3 Likes

Proudest moment for me being a saddler was smashing Albion 4-1 . We even had Merson in our team . Was so filled with pride that day .
Those days are very rare being Walsall supporter which make them all that much more special.

3 Likes

That Albion game. No contest, nothing close. Best overall quality team to ever line up with the bird badge

5 Likes

I love topics like this happy memories of my Dad and Grandfather. We used to go on holiday 2 and 3week of August so would miss the first game. We would usually see our first game in September but it still had the excitement especially when it was my first senior game that was Millwal Athletic we won 2-1 I can still see Tony Richards scoring even 62 years later.
The Sunderland game we had travelled by coach to Bournemouth where we had a beach hut Dad put the radio on, in those days it was only the 2nd half and you did not know what match would be covered it was Walsall. We sat and were disappointed we could not hear the e d of the game as we had to get back for the evening meal so did not know the score we eventually found a stall selling pinksports papers to find the result.
Couple of game I went to Bristol Rovers we got beat but we were not going to brum or anywhere atmosphere was strange relief but Buck had gone what was the future.
The last one Torquay first league game at bescot AND we scored the fastest goal wrong net though

2 Likes