Flynn Hokey Cokey

3pts since the 6th August :man_facepalming:t2: Some UTS members have got more on there drivers license.

Not sure what the answer is, but for me the problems arenā€™t just in the managers office, but throughout the club.

We need more than marginal gains thatā€™s for sure, we need wholesale change.

3 Likes

For meā€¦.and Iā€™ve seen it a hundred times at all levelsā€¦.you know a manager is close when decisions become irrational, you see lots of changes to personnel and formations even after a poor result even if the performance wasnā€™t too bad and it becomes a numbers game of throwing anything at a situation to try and fluke a result.

Iā€™m seeing this with Flynn at moment.

Tuesday he went public and said it was a really good performanceā€¦ā€¦yet today was a different formation and different players. It sends a message of panic and throwing mud at a wall and seeing what sticks. It says there is no process there is only desperation!

Players are getting rewarded and binned on a whim trying desperately to find a formula.

Good managers, managers in control know what they want, they know how to get it, they understand it may take time, they know sometimes results DO NOT reflect performance.

Sometimes a good win did not reflect their visionā€¦.changes are needed despite winningā€¦ā€¦also a good performance reflecting their vision may result in a lossā€¦ā€¦players do not need changing.

Iā€™m not sure Flynn can see the wood for trees at the moment. So heā€™s chopping everything in sight.

Heā€™s become a fan. Emotionally involved and reacting instantly to every emotion.

20 Likes

The players realised at that moment that Flynn isnā€™t a good manager. Downhill ever since.

Your best post yet in my view . When Dean Smith was in charge and we went on that long non winning run some of on here defended him because we could see he had a plan and that he was doing everything possible to bring that plan to fruition. Unfortunately I see no plan at the minute only changes to get that elusive win. The problem is that the players are confused by all this chopping and changing and some are probably getting demotivated.
I will repeat a point I have made before regarding Ray Graydon when he said at his first meet the manager evening ā€œPlayers at this level need certainty.They are not bright enough to play different systems in separate matches let alone in a single matchā€. Maybe not his exact words but a good resumeā€™. Oh for someone like Ray now !!!

7 Likes

Everything in my mind tells me he is a couple of games away from the sack.

I just donā€™t know where we go from here though. Another complete rebuild with a manager that came with a good reputation. He had plenty of time to plan too. I donā€™t really want him to be sacked but it is getting close to being the only option. Sad times indeed.

2 Likes

Dean smith had a plan, that was afforded longevity by bonser being skint, or too tight
To sack him. You chose. Then Plymouth. It was the perfect storm.

2 Likes

I think he knows the end might be near

There were a lot of callers on WM today saying we should stick with Flynn simply because it worked with Smith. Itā€™s a ridiculous argument though, at the moment thereā€™s no identity, no style of play and no indication of a settled line-up.

No matter how desperate the results were during the Autumn of 2012, there was still a plan and an identity that the Board and supporters could buy in to. At the moment I just donā€™t have any belief that this group of players have the ability or courage to string a set of
results together.

We have a squad with more players than the Manager knows what to do with and a complete move away from the formation (3-5-2) that they were recruited for. Weā€™re now stuck playing a variation of 4-4-2 with no natural wingers and a central midfield that is unable to retain possession. As @CompletelySaddled said, the decision making is becoming increasingly irrational and random, which is never a good sign for a manager.

I think Flynn desperately needs a win at Stockport.

14 Likes

Lose next game, Flynn has to go.

1 Like

Exactly. He went 442 (or a variation of) today, without proper wingers. He has a plethora of central midfield players, none who are good at controlling a game and/or able to retain possession, and has no idea who his best are. We have no pace in the forward positions, apart from Knowles, who has no idea where he is playing. We have no target man nor a striker to hold up the ball. Williams is not the answer. I felt sorry for DJ today.

1 Like

2012 was a poor run but DS at least had 18 months of credit in bank at that stage. That said another poor season just staying up and he may well have got the boot, weā€™ll never know.

Think back to when Flynn first came in, clean sheet at Forest Green, regular home wins, I just canā€™t believe that was players pulling their finger out to stay up.

Something isnā€™t right as miles off that standard this season bar the opening two games.

Yet another season running where imo recruitment upfront simply isnā€™t good enough. You donā€™t need 1 decent attacker to get out of this league, you need probably 3 and also a midfielder who can actually score a goal.

If DJ dosenā€™t score no one else does. And that routinely exposes deficiencies in other areas of the team.

1 Like

We canā€™t afford to sack Flynn, weā€™re still paying off Taylor Iā€™m guessing. The budget would take a right hammering.

He reckons hes building a squad to get us out of this division, he may not be wrong.

4 Likes

Hopefully it would not be from the playing budget.

Iā€™d stick with him, injuries have been cruel to Flynn so far. Obviously like Taylor if he canā€™t turn it round relatively quickly we may have no choice but for the moment we need to rally behind him and the team.

1 Like

You know the players we have out through injury how many of them would make a difference to the team and results, and in what time frame?

2 Likes

Smith never made it about him, and he never slagged off his players in public. I remember people ridiculing him for finding anything to blame rather than the players following a defeat / poor performance. His glass was always half full and he never lost the players.
He didnā€™t get fired because the people he worked for, (and some of us supporters) could clearly see that he had vision and a strategy. We were lucky to have him and have gone downhill since the day he left.

13 Likes

Probably just Wilko Labadie was cack last season

3 Likes

Good post and agree with most of it.

It was odd today. Lop sided 442 with the responsibility on Bennett to provide width on the right side. It didnā€™t work and too many players struggled with it particularly Maddox, Knowles and Williams.

I donā€™t agree entirely with this. Earing and Hutchinson are more than capable of retaining possession and by doing that they can control a game. Two problems though. 1. Flynn doesnā€™t trust either of them without the reassurance of Comley and/or Kinsella behind them 2. We have a back 3/4 that simply arenā€™t brave enough to give them the ball as a priority rather than a last resort.

However add Maddox to the mix and possibly
Knowles (I have no idea what flynn sees him as!) and you have 3 into 6 and youā€™re right Flynn has no idea who are his preference.

He has to revert to playing three in there and only one of them holding. For me itā€™s Kinsella behind Hutchinson and Earing and I believe that to be good enough to control the game if we make it our game plan to go through them.

Completely agree. For me Knowles offers pace energy and desire. Although heā€™s not the best with his back to goal I feel playing as a forward is his most effective area of the pitch to play in. However Flynn has made a god of him and by Playing him everywhere and by putting him in every set piece and every throw in he has diluted any clarity on what his role is and heā€™s become less affective by basically trying to charge around doing everything.

Agree again. Williams offers something but with no pace alongside him heā€™s very limited and the partnership with DJ doesnā€™t work.

Itā€™s controversial but a pairing of Williams and Knowles may be more effective than Williams and DJā€¦.maybe DJ has made life harder than imagined by hitting the ground runningā€¦ā€¦I mean whoā€™s brave enough to leave out a top scorer even if he contributes nothing other than finishing? Maybe thatā€™s fine in a team thatā€™s creating a lot but maybe weā€™d be better off as a sum of the partsā€¦.

When has Kinsella every played as the pivot and controlled a game ?

He just canā€™t do it. For me he either plays as a pressing player in a midfield 3ā€¦. Or thatā€™s it.

2 Likes