Former players - where are they now?

Aaron McCarey. Might just be his last game.

Just saw that myself. He was abit of a weird one when he played for us, remember him shushing the fans at Coventry Away and we lost 5-0 that day :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Let’s not forget his racking off when Wolves beat us on penalties.

an amusing downfall.

Knob.

2 Likes

Pretty sure he was giving it to our fans when they beat us at Bescot too and he didn’t even play. Seems like an oddball.

2 Likes

Very strange Fella!!

It’s funny how some players are completely blanked from your memory ……. No idea he ever played for us. I do remember that 5-0 at Cov though :rage:

Ditto, although I must have seen him play several times. I can’t actually remember him at all, just a vague memory of the name.

Jamie Paterson just been seen scoring a screamer in Swansea somewhere.

1 Like

After watching the highlights of the incident, can see him being sacked by his club tbh. Don’t think the players will want to play with him again!

I was surprised to learn that McCarey made more appearances than any other GK for us that season- probably surprised because he was easily the least remarkable, among a group that included Karl Darlow, Sam Johnstone, and Ian McLaughlin (even David Grof went on to play for Honved).

The stars really didn’t align for us that season, and the persistent goalkeeping uncertainty was a big factor, along with us taking until January to click as an attacking unit (signing Westcarr and shifting him to the Number 10 role was the catalyst), Bowerman’s early season form fizzing out rapidly, injury to Cuvelier, and also to Grigg for the run in. A couple of minor adjustments to the above, and we could’ve been genuine contenders that year.

2 Likes

Now laid on the second for Russell Martin’s Swansea!!

1 Like

At Leyton Orient yesterday I remembered Olly Lancashire’s last minute equaliser about 10 years ago. It seems he is with Southampton now as a B team player. https://www.southamptonfc.com/b-team/olly-lancashire

2 Likes

And now assisted for the third.

MotM.

Nice to see him playing well and enjoying his football.

1 Like

The assist for the third was sexy

Jamie P will be 30 in a few weeks, which hardly seems possible. I wish we’d been able to keep him for a little longer, even just a season.

5 Likes

Didn’t someone say he should be re-signed? Yet Tamworth play now three levels below league two now (thought they were still in national league north).

Former Walsall GK Karl Darlow plays as the regular number one for Newcastle, and just noticed their bench GK option is also former Walsall GK Mark Gillespie, from Whitney’s ill-fated time.

2 Likes

I have fond memories of that season. The football played from Jan 2013 up to late April was imo the best of all of DS reign. Guess you could say start of 2015 season aswell but Dean didn’t stay that long.

Anyway front 3 of Brandy-Grigg-Pato was brilliant on counter attack and seemed to win a penalty every week. And middle trio of Chambers-Featherstone-Mantom ticked along very nicely with Baxendale playing great in number 10 position.

Can remember comfortably beating Bournemouth 3-1 with most of that team playing in premier league two years later, 3-1 at Preston when could’ve easily scored 7 that day and also 4-0 v Coventry on Easter Monday when they had likes of Calum Wilson. One of those seasons where another month and would’ve made top 6.

Was frustrating then the forwards all left so 2013-14 was a rebuilding season. 14-15 was pretty disappointing aside from the Wembley run before it all clicked again start of 2015-16. Story of the Smith era really.

10 Likes