Former players - where are they now?

Just tuned in to Yeovil vs Stevenage & notice that Max Melbourne is playing for Borough. Thought he was decent for us…

2 Likes

Hemings scored for Kiddy in Fa cup today

Tyler Roberts scored for Dirty Leeds against Brentford.

Seems there was this idea peddled that he was going to be way above budget because he started a game for Lincoln in August.

Would be pretty desperate if Stevenage have a bigger budget at this level unless he just didn’t want to move here full time but one who really should’ve been signed up.

1 Like

Nolan’s only played two league one games in fairness.

Wes was good at times and I think from Feb he knew he was going so didn’t lift a leg. Probably one of those signings Morecambe made knowing there was big chance they’ll be back in league 2 this time next year so budgeted for that.

Didn’t Reid get a bad injury at Portsmouth so guess it’s a case of he’s young and they probably scouted him in Birmingham youth teams.

Scarr’s the big surprise for me but saw a Plymouth game the other week and he was being played centrally in a three with main remit to head stuff away so that obviously suits him.

In any poor team there’s always going to be some decent players, I mean 18/19 vintage had Joe Edwards and Dobson in it and both have proved themselves top end league 1 players at various points in their career.

Sometimes players just need a fresh start.

2 Likes

Wes is better than any wide players we currently have and Scarr and Clarke would have made our team better this season. As for Melbourne: perhaps he wasn’t signed because of a perceived bad attitude- remember the concussion business? Otherwise: Ward or Melbourne- it’s a no-brainier. Gordon and Lavery haven’t been missed - but just replaced with similar mediocrity! Our squad is no better than last season, especially if you include Adebayo and Jules in the equation…so why actually did we think we would do better? Blind optimism and irrational hope, I think.

3 Likes

Agree Wes has much more ability than the likes of Kiernan and Shade the only player who plays wide for us now i might take over him is Wilkinson and we should have took Melbourne over Ward all day long why would Stevenage be a better place for him than us? glad someone has had the balls to post this our attacking options are a joke probably because we wont pay the going rate for quality in that area as usual.have we got a striker that is ours and not on loan?

3 Likes

Just read back your first couple of lines, and that Sir is the problem.

We didn’t sign a player because he had started one game for Lincoln :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Max Melbourne is under contract at Lincoln till the end of this season, so us signing him in the Summer would presumably have involved a fee, and just as importantly him wanting to drop a division. It’s entirely possible that we tried to sign him, were knocked back and looked elsewhere. We don’t know.

He played 90 minutes in all of Lincoln’s first 5 matches this season, which would seem to justify him staying there. For whatever reason, at the end of August Lincoln then decided to loan him out. I don’t know the circumstances, but it seems strange to go from regular starter to not wanted at the club in the space of a week.

By the time he became available for loan we’d already started the season with Ward and we already had Mills as full back cover. We had one space for a loan signing left. Signing another left back on loan wasn’t a priority for us, we needed strengthening further up the pitch, people were crying out for attacking options and we had none. We signed George Miller. At that point, who here would have signed Max Melbourne instead?

Would Melbourne have wanted to sign on loan to be another back up to Ward? I don’t know but I wouldn’t have thought so. Would Melbourne have started ahead of Ward? I wouldn’t have thought so, given that Ward has started every game he has been fit for, Matt Taylor obviously wants him there.

In any case, he didn’t play for Stevenage until October so may have been injured, and has only played 90 minutes four times for them.

Signing Max Melbourne on a permanent contract at the end of last season would have been a good move. We don’t know how hard the club tried but it would have needed Matt Taylor to have wanted to sign him, Lincoln to want to sell him, Max Melbourne to have wanted to come here (not a given, a division lower, and having been at the club last season - Josh Gordon said that it hadn’t been a great place to be recently) and us paying a fee acceptable to Lincoln. We don’t know which of those was the stumbling block, maybe one, maybe all of them. We just don’t know.

Once that option was off the table, signing him on loan at the end of August doesn’t make sense.

12 Likes

Super Tommy Bradshaw got the Millwall winner at Cov yesterday. Good to see him doing well. I think he’s scored in his last four games.

6 Likes

Made me laugh when i saw Miller compared to him ffs :rofl:

Considering he signed with absolutely no fanfare, he was just some journeyman we’d signed from Salop, he really was a heck of a player. A brilliant signing by Deano.

6 Likes

I think we paid a fee for him though. Undisclosed as usual so not sure how much.

Great signing. I think Whitney played a big part in his success by keeping him available for selection. He still had spells out but I reckon he played a lot more than he would have.

Bradshaw was perfect for the lone striker role, kept two center backs occupied the whole game. Made all the right runs, clinical when the chances came.

8 Likes

Thats the key difference mate the finishing.

2 Likes

Heard on the grapevine it was £50k

I think Dean mentioned something about being under £50,000 in an interview I heard when Bradshaw was knocking in the goals for us.

Tom Bradshaw on ITV now against Crystal Palace

I won’t be watching but hope he continues his good form and sticks it up the Stripy Nigels.

Instrumental in Millwall’s goal, pressurising the keeper.

2 Likes

Superb first half by M’wall - as much as it hurts me to say it.
Viera looks on the verge of spontaneous combustion.