Former players - where are they now?

Simeon Jackson scored for Chelmsford City yesterday

He was not in the squad yesterday.

Liam Roberts kept a clean sheet last night for Boro and his performance is getting praise from manager and fans.

I do not think he has been in the squad for a couple of weeks

Very happy for him. Goes to show what good coaching can do to bring out potential.

2 Likes

He’s come a long way from the breadstick poppadum wrist days that’s for sure.

2 Likes

When Smith brought in Cutler and O’Kelly (plus Whitney as physio) that really was the dream team.

Goalkeeping coaches (that are good) make a big difference: it baffles me that we haven’t replaced the likes of Stewart and O’Kelly.

Maybe Williams can step into the role when he hangs up his boots. I’m sure that was the rationale for our young forward players being drafted in. In fairness, his movement was top drawer for the ‘ghost goal’ v Charlton. I think that decision had a big effect on our current drop in confidence because, before that we were keeping clean sheets and looking strong at home.

Still early days though so optimistic that we can go on a bit of a run once one of our strikers find their shooting boots.

2 Likes

Depends who’s in league 1 when the eventual return happens but half the league would probably bring 1-2k so if you have a solid core of 5k home fans there’s the 7k attendances straight away.

That’s not 7,000 Walsall fans though is it?

Sorry misread a bit, certainly not getting 7k Walsall fans in league 1 unless club is 10-15 points clear in 1st.

Attendances didn’t go much over 5k in 15/16 until April if you look back at that season.

Well I haven’t got the stats,but all I know is that since I was a teenager in the 60s the gates (not counting the away fans) have very gradually gone down. I can actually remember 7,000-9,000 gates for night game when there were hardly any away fans. But if we can average 5,000-6,000 just Walsall fans we will be doing ok .

1 Like

Sad news about Marcus Stewart:

https://twitter.com/padugout/status/1567875640430321666?s=21&t=1694LYjyHo5GML1mPyCSGA

Sad news.

Smith working his magic at Norwich.6 on the bounce now.
Loff if they go up and the Vile go down.

8 Likes

Yes, Deano seems to be doing a good job and at one of the few clubs that I have no particular dislike for, so I can be pleased for him.
Russell Martin doing less well at Swansea, in the bottom 3, I think.

2 Likes

The cream always rises to the top mate.Let’s not forget that it’s took him time and I know Flynns not Smith but I can see a similar thing happening when Flynn gets results out of these players.Evans,Monthe,Daniels,Bennett,Kinsella,
Earing,Knowles,DJ,Wilkinson,Riley,Hutchinson,
Maddox(on Tuesdays showing),Maher all walk into any league two side and they’d be more than happy to have them from what I’ve seen of this league over the last what is it now 4 seasons?. They do play for Flynn they do respond to his changes and half time rockets and we do play some nice stuff at times but we just need to knock the performances like first half Tuesday and Barrow(springs to mind in my head) out of this bunch.It’ll take time but I stand by my comments that Flynn is one of the best chances we have of getting out of this league.

5 Likes

Thats exactly what I hope happens

2 Likes

Isaiah Osbourne still playing for Nuneaton Borough

So many ex Saddlers have scored in league two today:

Cook - 2
Gordon - 2
Guthrie
Randall
Wright

Yes and many on here were highly critical of Gordon in particular.

1 Like