Gillingham (H) 18th August, 3pm

3-3 for me, we can now attack teams instead of that wishy washy sideways and backwards, strikerless crud that we have been exposed to for so very long, but Gillingham appear to be a strong team from results so far. (3-2 would be better though, anyone remember that great match from a few seasons back?)

0-2. Kettle will kill the game with his usual ineptitude and bias. Draw or more is a bonus.

I’d be amazed if more than 3 goals scored in total but 1-0 or 2-0 or 3-0 to Walsall would be fantastic

I know its early days, 2 league matches doth not a season make, but I’m really looking forward to this - and it’s been a while since I was able to say that!
Although I’ve able to appreciate the number 10 skills of both Sawyers and Oztumer, the constant sideways, sideways, backwards did tend to be a drain on ones soul somewhat.
How much more exciting to see 2 wingers bombing down the flanks to cross in to 2 (count them, 2!!) burly centre forwards who look as if they’re likely to smash the ball, a couple of hapless defenders and the goalie into the net.
Roy of the Rovers stuff - Happy days.
Glad I bought my season ticket now (even if it does say OAP on it).
Oh - and we’ll win, by the way.

2 Likes

A highly combative 1-1 draw, with Cook for us, in front of 4,372 (320 away).

Tickets bought. Absolutely buzzing for Saturday now! Still think it’ll be an entertaining 3-1 going either way. UTS

Said this many many times under my last username, you cannot beat seeing flying wingers putting in crosses for big ugly centre forwards to head home.

Many, many years ago when the George Hotel dominated the Bridge, I saw the Gillingham team disembarking form their charabanc so I started to yell abuse at Brian Yeo who turned and smiled at me. Calm as you like he just said, I’ll score tomorrow.

Cocky ■■■■■■■ did just that. I hated him…

Anyone else itching to get down the Bonks?! What a feeling.

5 Likes

Got my tickets can’t wait

My first game since Portsmouth at home last season and really looking forward to it.

3-1 Walsall with goals from Cook, Ferrier and Guthrie.

Hope you’re right! Had £30 on us to score 2 or more goals in the match :smile:

Loving the optimism, price was that?

I got 7/5. £72 if it comes in but I’d happily take a 1-0 win now and lose the bet!

1 Like

That would net me the life changing amount of £13.00 :laughing:

Got a quid on Walsall to win and both teams to score and a quid on both Cook & Ferrier scoring.

Last of the big gamblers me :wink:

1 Like

Walsall win 1-0 with a Gillingham own goal :thinking:

Really looking forward to tomorrow - credit to Deano. UTS

Id go for a 2 - 1. Maybe us to have way loads of shots and like 2 on target

Gosh I really am showing my age; looked up the programme and found it was this match: -

1970 - Walsall 0-1 Gillingham D3 Att: 4,295
Brian Yeo was the goalscoring hero with the second-half winner at Fellows Park

We did, of course, win some of our encounters against the Gills, but we managed to lose enough home matches for them to be our “bogey side” in my youth (and later). These games are all at home …

28.8.54 Lost 0-1
30.8.58 Lost 1-2
16.4.60 Lost 2-3
31.3.70 Lost 0-1
28.8.76 Lost 1-2
20.3.79 Lost 0-1
16.4.85 Lost 0-1
22.2.92 Lost 0-1
18.11.17 Lost 0-1

:anguished: