Greatest Walsall ginger ever?

From the Wiki page on Taylor:

“Following his death in 2005, Walsall F.C. have promised to build a permanent memorial for Taylor.”

Was this ever built?

A little while back the club did a “Walk of Fame” of club legends that turned out to be just laminated sheets of A4 tacked onto wooden posts leading into the car park. Would that have been it?

1 Like

I’d hope we’d do something a bit better than a laminated a piece of paper for a player who played nearly 500 games and scored nearly 200 goals for us

minimum £50,000 for a life sized bronze statue sculpted to order. More if you get a name to do it. The life sized statue of Senna cost £200,000.
I’d rather they put the money towards purchase of the freehold.

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be a 200k statue, could be something as simple and cheap as the memorial bricks in a different area dedicated to former players or in a different colour, would cost the club no more than 50 quid but a laminated piece of paper is no way to celebrate a great part of our history

2 Likes

The thing is,if you have one for Colin Taylor,how about Tony Richards,Alan Buckley,Nick Athey,Ray Graydon and of course Jeff Bonser…:grin:

1 Like

There is a star for Ray Graydon, the only one of the club’s “legend” nominations that was accepted, in the Walk of Stars down Broad Street in Brum that was unveiled in 2009. I think the Happy Shopper version outside the Banks’s was the club’s way of honouring all the ones that didn’t make it - including Cannonball amongst several others. At the time I thought it might just be a temporary thing until they could do something more permanent - but still waiting!

Very sad that our greatest ever player Colin ‘Cannonball’ Taylor, has no permanent memorial at the ground.
Those of us around at the time were very lucky indeed to have witnessed a player with such a great shot.
Made my life more bearable with so many Dingle fans around at the time when the Wolves were a really great team. (breaks my heart to say those awful words, unfortunately it was true at the
time).

2 Likes

Didn’t the club put name plaques on the doors of the executive boxes, to honour certain players?

1 Like