Has Walsall's decline 'bottomed out'

Based on what you have seen since the takeover, has Walsall’s catastrophic decline over a decade ‘bottomed out’?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

For what it’s worth I still, hand on heart, do not believe that LP is Bonser’s puppet, however, I do believe he is hamstrung by the rent, is potless, and is totally and utterly out of this depth running this club; he has stayed loyal to failing staff and out-of-date operating practices when fresh, creative, progressive thinking was desperately needed. I am of the belief that unless a buyer comes in or something drastic changes, we will be a non-league club inside 5 years.

9 Likes

We won’t ‘bottom out’ for a while! Best case lower 4th division becomes the norm or we bottom out in the National League. I said this when we were relegated and nothing has changed that view despite new ownership, coaching staff etc……

3 Likes

Not with our current recruitment model, it will see us into non league.

The club just refuses to invest and in the near future will be punished for it.

2 Likes

The club as a whole is at it’s lowest ebb in my history as a supporter, on Saturday we will be bottom of the 4th Division, just let that sink in.
A squad that was supposedly going for promotion, now we think to ourselves “where are the next points going to come from”.

2 Likes

Based on the last 50 years yes. Normally 10 years of decline when sometimes we go down to Div4/League 2 and sometimes we don’t. Followed by 10 years of getting better when sometime swe go up to Div 2/Championship and sometimes we don’t. Mainly pissing about in Div 3 /League1.

1 Like

I hope so, but I fear it gets worse yet.

It’s a matter of

WHEN

not IF

We become a National League Club

Always thought it was a possibility under Bonser. It certainly is under this Chairman

3 Likes

Bonser would pull a decent signing or two out of his arse in the past when the heat was on him Pomlett doesnt have the money Bonser had to do that.

2 Likes

I really hope we have bottomed out but I’m not so sure. If we get stuck down near the bottom for too much longer it could easily turn into a proper relegation scrap and I’m not convinced we’d escape it unless a couple of basket case clubs (Oldham and 1 more?) beat us to be the bottom 2.

From when I started going in the mid 80s I can’t ever remember dropping out of the league really being mentioned, let alone thinking that it was an actual serious possibility until towards the end of last season.

3 Likes

We will only bottom out when there is nothing else worth stripping.

1 Like

As I’ve said before , I don’t think we’ll actually know until a fair while after we have.

Last season’s position was our lowest ever and we are currently 90th out of 92. As bottoming out goes, it’s already been pretty harrowing as a fan - If there is any further ‘bottoming out’ we become non-league, it really is as simple as that - and the worrying this is I just can’t see a way out with this owner.

I still look at the guy and 100% think his intentions were honourable and well placed. As for our CEOs on the other hand…the only thing saving them is I don’t believe they actually realise how totally clueless they are and how far the entertainment and events business sectors have moved on. I would happily never set eyes on either of those individuals ever again.

3 Likes

I have thought along similar lines to that myself. Somehow though this feels very different. I am at this point really concerned we are going to take the next step within the next few years. Who knows where the bottom is once that has happened.

2 Likes

My answer to the original question is I don’t know. I hope we have obviously and before a ball was kicked I would probably have voted yes however things are not going for us on the pitch at the moment and that needs to change quickly if we are to have confidence in the future.

2 Likes

We’ve never declined according to some on here. Happy with whatever is put in front of them.

I guess they’re not the toxic ones :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Look at the votes mate, I think they are in a vast minority, and, let’s face it, it’s more than likely some of those posters work for the club or are connected to those that work for the club - their posts are clearly attempting to cloud issues and annoy - which is totally pathetic in itself.

For our genuine fans that are suffering, like @WalsallOne, that do always try at least to remain on the positive side of things, I genuinely feel for them. Its heart breaking.

2 Likes

I was really positive this season. Then all of this was destroyed by::

• no permanent signings from early July
• no strikers/creative signings
• unbalanced small squad
• burnt sausage rolls
• dirty stadia
• leaky toilets
• crap club shop
• baseless videos from the chairman
• crap results
• poor play/tactics/basics
• being bottom of Division 4

I actually looked at Brentford tickets last night :man_facepalming:t2:

8 Likes

Probably recycling money he made out of the club in the first place.

2 Likes

Nail head on hit, especially the bit n bold

3 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t think we have, as chunk says - not until the last asset has been stripped.
A very good mate of mine is a man united fan. He came to Bescot the night we played Preston and made history getting to Wembley.
He is astonished at our current position in such a short space of time.
I would be very interested to know if our current chairmen has had any discussion with our previous chairman and current landlord about the real possibility of non league footy. For sure the rent wouldn’t get paid if/when this happens.

1 Like