Hey DJ

Fear not, we may have a replacement lined up already…

1 Like

Not sure I’d want him here with his attitude.

To old….

He’ll be gutted.

1 Like

Legs will have gone too at his age!!

1 Like

No he cannot, can only sign for simeone else in the same country 1 month (June) before his contract runs out.

Don Penn was great he also was in one of the footie mags at the time. Wish I still had it.

1 Like

Williams and Clarke haven’t worked for us at their age, no way Ronaldo would do a job at this level if the league 2 team of the year centre back couldn’t . To old

FYI a pre contract agreement is just a legal agreement to sign a playing contract when any existing contract comes to an end. These can be talked about when the existing contract enters its final six months.
Signing such an agreement doesn’t mean he would be able to play for us as his existing contract is still in force with Mansfield. It does mean they couldn’t sell him to a third part (although they could loan him out if DJ agrees) or make him return to Mansfield and lose him at the end of the remaining six months.
It doesn’t effect his current playing status but changes the dynamic of who holds the aces in the negotiations but in essence DJ has a major say I dare say with his agent .
I am no expert this is how it was explained to me but tbf I am happy to be corrected in the pursuit of clarity.

Can’t negotiate 6 months before contract end in English football.
Can sign a pre contract 1 month before contract finishes with English based players.
Most countries allow 6 month pre contract talks we don’t x

3 Likes

Yeah they are the “rules” on paper but it would be extremely naive to believe that discussions don’t happen outside of these.

Back in the real world, you would hope that someone within the club has asked DJ and/or his agent what he would be looking for wages and contract length wise to sign permanently and there have been some sort of discussions, some could even call them negotiations…yet that would be against the “rules” wouldn’t it.

Maybe you’re right, but if I were in the Club I’d err on the side of caution here. You wouldn’t talk to the player directly, as even a ‘friendly chat’ will be met with “you’ll have to speak to my agent”.

Going to the agent could present difficulties down the line. If they interpret this contact as ‘negotiation’, they then know something about you which you’d rather not be known. In other words, you’re giving them an advantage. All of a sudden you’re paying through the nose to keep their mouth shut.

Surely with the way the club bigs up DJ on social media they must be confident on securing his services in January, they’d be foolish to keep putting him up in lights if they haven’t done a deal.

Indeed it could…or it could be seen as getting a head start in those negotiations in knowing where both parties are at and where the middle ground in those negotiatons is likely to fall?

Not saying its right, but that it happens in football, in business and I would guess almost anywhere where a contract is up for discussion or negotiation, despite whatever rules/laws are applicable to that contract or negotiations.

https://twitter.com/WFCOfficial/status/1595462179334987779?s=20&t=52Ua0fliAQMTeXrpueOhqg
Wilko getting closer.

1 Like

Good news, He must have been given the all clear yesterday by the Doctor.

1 Like

Wilko tbf has never stopped smiling from when I’ve seen him after his injury

Good news regarding Wilko

Think it would be brilliant to see Wilko play a few games with DJ and see if they could get the chemistry again that would encourage DJ to sign a permanent deal rather than him being just a replacement .

But also need to make sure he’s fully fit and not rush him back before he’s ready .

2 Likes

I agree, dont take any unnecessary risks with wilko makes sures hes 100% before he returns. We have the added bonus of team on such good form without him.