I will never forgive Dean Smith

To be fair though belph it ain’t exactly a one off occurrence is it the blokes full of balls ups you can’t tell me he fills you with confidence when you see his name on the team sheet so how do the defenders feel? He’s probably a lovely lad but maybe he should have played rugby union because he can find touch just by the corner flag no problem.

I wouldn’t disagree that he’s been struggling, but it is exactly the time we should be supporting him. He’s one of own, to coin a phrase
Do people expect him to ask the manager not to pick him?
I get giving Guthrie some grief as he was clearly out of shape and coasting, but Roberts is doing his best. If it ain’t good enough then the finger needs pointing at the bloke picking him every week when he has a credible option on the bench.

8 Likes

Liam needs taking out of the firing line for his own good, playing him every week after some of the clangers he has dropped is no good to him or the team.

4 Likes

Trying to be diplomatic on this one, but I’m struggling. He’s literally costing us game after game.

However your point on selection is probably the real issue here.

2 Likes

He got worse with crowds in. Can remember the Oxford home game towards the end of the relegation season. Break in play and he was taking a free kick not far from the corner flag and someone in Tile Choice lower in the corner gave him a tirade of abuse for 15 seconds which he couldn’t avoid hearing.

He then kicked the free kick out of play which took some doing so he’s been spared a fair bit BCD.

I just wonder how well he’s being coaching as he dosen’t seem to dive properly,numerous goals conceded over last two years when he’s going down slowly to shots that have trickled into the corner at no great pace.

I guess someone like Neil Etheridge always had natural talent and just needed to be number 1 somewhere but O’Donnell was a keeper with a few flaws in his game and he really did well while he was here and then was a championship keeper for a few years so I thought Robbo could hit that level but now more likely to be non league I’m afraid to say.

I’m actually surprised he’s still in. Made a bad error at Newport and was dropped straight after. Makes a similar error at Vale and stayed in so can’t see Rose staying on for next season.

1 Like

It’s tough with keepers as they are either in or out, they are not going to come off the bench with 20 minutes to go with a chance to impress or they can’t switch positions & play CB or LB. It must be tough for them when they are dropped but unfortunately, for whatever reason, Liam is no longer performing at an acceptable standard. Rose deserves his chance. If he proves to be no better then like Shilton & Clemence perhaps alternate them…

1 Like

He’s better than me.

2 Likes

You’re a bit hard on yourself. 125 caps for England suggests that you could do a job here even if you are a pensioner.

1 Like

Met him once, seemed nice enough in person. There’s an outside chance we might be related somewhere down the line, but the goalkeeping ability hasn’t been passed down the genealogical line. I couldn’t trap a bag of cement.

You did manage one goal in your career, which suggests you could do as good a job for us as Gaffney, Ngoo, Parkin and a few others we’ve had, if you don’t fancy playing in goal.

1 Like

Can’t keep wiping the lads back side can we if it hasn’t sunk in now it never will we’ve all watched football for many years and he’s got to be one of the worst kickers I’ve ever seen and I mean it’s bloody constantly not a bobble here and there it’s 2 or 3 times every god damn match it frustrates me because what more has he got to do wrong before people see it!

Roberts looked better, when he had good defenders before him. Especially someone, who can organise people in the penalty area. Adding of course some psychological things (to be calmer, more confident for example), improve kicking ability (I thunk it can be improved with training, but maybe not) and could be good keeper for lower leagues. Only I’m afraid it’s gone too far and he won’t return. Damage done, no clear solution how to repair it. Some rest would be good, but now it’s difficult.

He’s just like very nearly every other player in the squad.

You occasionally see glimpses of why he gets paid to be a goalkeeper. Then there are moments where it is clear as to why he is at the bottom of his profession. And being a ‘keeper the mistakes tend to be costly ones.

I think he has really good instincts. Unfortunately when it is out with of instinct and there is time to think it tends to go a bit wrong. So it gets a bit panicky with ball at feet, a bit fumbly on crosses and often plays down the wrong line on shots from distance.

Keepers tend to get longer careers so maybe still time to adjust and you do need to look at the coaching he is receiving too as these flaws have been present throughout the six or seven years we’ve seen him.

7 Likes

Not sure I agree with your last point. When Cutler was here he was developing into a good 'keeper.I know that other clubs were interested in him hence the deal which,I think, expires this season. Certainly the flaws you identify have become much more noticeable lately and it is such a shame because he could have had a really good career. In view of the fact that he isn’t the only one making silly errors in makes me wonder whether there is wider problem at the Club about the making of mistakes .Perhaps the change in manager will alleviate that.

2 Likes

Everyone can see it, presumably including those that coach him and select him.
Just because it is evident doesn’t mean that “supporters” should be kicking him when he’s down.

5 Likes

I will develop my last point further.As someone who has managed people and trained people to be managers I am not a fan of managers who call people out in front of others when they make an error. Everyone makes mistakes and some times a supportive word is needed rather than a rollicking especially a public one. Dean Smith has had some success with this approach and I hope Brian Dutton has the same approach. He could do worse than spend a day or two studying Dean’s methods.

2 Likes

He needs to improve his kicking his shot stopping is hot and cold one minute he pulls off a cracker the next minute he’s butter fingers very inconsistent and it’s the worst position to be inconsistent if you knacker up anywhere else on the pitch there’s a chance someone will get you out of jail you slip up in goal and there’s no place to hide.I’m not really being nasty I’m just stating the obvious and rose is a better keeper.

Again, I wouldn’t argue with your analysis of the player.

1 Like

I remember seeing you play a half at Boldmere and you came off the pitch as red as one of our shirts :joy:

1 Like

Not good enough and never will be there is a reason why we got rid of him once already please tell me he is out of contract.