If you could revisit one game only what would it be

Probably the first time my Dad took me to FP when I was about 8. No idea who we played!

Before kick off, the team booted plastic autographed footballs into the stands. My Dad ascended Jennings-esque to snatch one out of the air.

2 Likes

Some wonderful games mentioned above.All of which I attended but for me I suppose the first 2 home games in 1961 are the 2 I would most like to revisit. For a start I was 16 and had my whole life in front of me whilst now most of my life has gone even if I live to really big age. It is difficult to choose between the 4-3 win over Sunderland and the 1-0 win over Newcastle but you have to understand that just a few years before we had being re elected into the League after finishing bottom of Division 3 South 3 years running and now we were beating the cream of the North East in the space of a few days. I think if I had to chose one it would be the Newcastle match with over 25,000 squeezed into Fellows Park. In between the 2 matches we beat Derby County away 3-1 as well with Colin Taylor scoring a wonderful goal. Great times, great memories.I wonder If I will ever see anything like them again!!

4 Likes

They used to do that at home games during the Christmas period

Players would exit the tunnel and kick footballs into the various stands, and approach the fans and hand out scarves etc , great memories of fellows park

3 Likes

My elder brother had the day off school so that he could get up fellows park early. And get a place in the queue saved for my dad who worked over the road at aluminium bronze mate for the games you speak off.

Very difficult to choose just one. Newcastle in the cup, or Liverpool away, beating Baggies 4-1, beating P’boro in the FA cup in 98 to set up a tie with Man Utd, JPT v Preston at home for the outpouring of emotion at the end of the game, Cardiff.

But I will probably have to go with Liverpool. Matching arguably the best team in the world at that time in their own back yard was amazing. The noise was incredible - non stop singing before, during and after the match. Losing my voice at the end of the night. The Kop acknowledging the Saddlers at the end of the match. Great night.

And getting up early next day to catch train back to Bradford where I was at uni, walking into a lecture and just grinning at the Liverpool fans on my course knowing that for at least a week I had the bragging rights.

Here we go, here we go, here we go…

3 Likes

Didn’t read the post fully. From ones I’ve seen live w***es away in September 2013.

Beating Albion 4-1 at the bescot. Probley more so because I don’t like the bag ladies. Made all the more special that we actually had Paul Merson in our team scoring tremendous goals .Though they wouldn’t admit it they must have been slightly envious of us for a change that day.

5 Likes

I stand corrected! How we could do with a full back like Roger Fry now!

Aldershot away in div 4 79-80 season when Buckley scored the best goal I have ever seen anywhere

3 Likes

Yes I’m with you. Only decided to drive down at the last minute. Parked about a mile from the ground outside my old BT training school. Tube in to Covent Garden for a pint of Young’s Winter Warmer back for the match then a subdued walk back to the car amongst Arsenal fans before erupting once safe in the car. Remember Mick Kearns leading the players over to celebrate with us in the seats. Memorable especially because there were fewer of us there than the other games mentioned and I can watch it again on dvd when I want.

1 Like

The 4-1 against West Brom.

We’d just come off the back of our highest league finish in decades and were in our third straight season in the second tier. The excitement of the Merson signing, the general opening day buzz, the glorious weather and a fantastic performance in a local derby. It really felt like we were a club going places on that day.

Of course, we then got relegated on goal difference and West Brom got promoted…

2 Likes

On reflection I think that long weekend in Cardiff cant be beaten

As a strong runner up got to be the opening day 4-1 demolition of the Bag Ladies in the glorious sunshine

Halcyon days compared to sitting at home watching some of the rubbish that has been on iFollow

Think I was at about 90% of all these games its got to be Liverpool away although all the coach windows were put in and my mate was robbed

Harking back to that play off game against Crewe I remember as we trudged out at the end a Crewe fan playing the Last Post on a trumpet…couldn’t help but titter even in the circumstances. However, if we could have got hold of him he would never have walked properly again.

2 Likes

Remember that day at Crewe Colin Methven being murdered by Tony Naylor and it ■■■■■■ down all day

1 Like

Only one for me and I’ve seen many over the last sixty odd years must be the Millennium Stadium, when the whistle went I nearly had a heart attack.

2 Likes

I remember walking into the Millennium and saying to mate mate “what the ■■■■ we doing here?”.

Sobered up immediately. Great day and was good that whole families and groups of friends got to enjoy it together.

3 Likes

The 4-0 May 1988 Play Off replay demolition of Bristol City at Fellows Park.

Approaching 16 years of age and relatively new to being a Saddler, I remember details about the day - being nearly 33 years ago - which should really be consigned to long distant memory, as if they were yesterday. And will also take them with me as cherished memories to tell my maker (hopefully a long time from now)

Where I stood, the pre match impromptu kick about, the sights, the sounds, the energy from fellow supporters, and obviously the feeling of utter elation, each and every time we scored, in fact all of it.

Didn’t want that day to end.

Yes, I would love to go back and live that whole day again, only better - if that’s possible!

Many happy (and not so happy) times supporting us in between, mostly mentioned above. But days like that day happen less often than we would like! but boy that felt good, and the memory still feeds my love for Walsall FC.

8 Likes

Has to be Swindon away to clinch the L2 title - just the second thing we’ve ever won and the only one in my lifetime. The emotion was just something else.

One thing about that game that I would change if I could live that day again though - I wouldn’t try and be clever and bypass the heavy traffic northward on the A419 by going south to the M4 in an attempt to get to the Hot Air Balloon before anyone else. The traffic announcement that there had just been an accident causing a massive tailback in the direction I was going came as I was literally going down the slip road and couldn’t turn back and avoid it. Two and a half hours we were stuck there. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

By the time we got to the M5 junction for the HAB I reckoned everybody else would have had enough by now and instead there would be a massive party going on in Walsall town centre - so I carried on to find virtually a ghost town with no one celebrating anywhere. When my missus found out that we would have still met loads of happy Saddlers AND the team if I had turned off, she wasn’t too happy and has never let me live it down since. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

My first ever game Vs Southend at home 2005… ended 2-2 but I wanna see Leitao’s and Fryatt’s goals as I can’t remember them :laughing:

2 Likes