IFollow for saturday

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Will try to keep this as non-technical as possible …

If/when we get back to whatever version of normal allows all fans back into stadiums, it is likely that the EFL will drop back to their previous practice of only allowing access to iFollow streaming of Saturday afternoon games to “overseas” customers. So anyone that still wants to watch games (as they can’t get to them in person) who is physically in the UK may be scuppered - and they also don’t have the option to buying the video season/half season passes.

The ways to get round this are a) actually be outside of the UK, b) be in the UK but appear (to iFollow) to be outside. A VPN helps you to do the latter (and/or the cororally of being outside the UK but appearing to be inside - as you need to be to use BBC iPlayer etc).

With your usual home internet connection (be it WiFi or ethernet via a router connected to your phone line or fibre-optic cable, or 4/5G on your mobile phone, etc) what happens is that you initially land on a server belonging to your ISP (Internet Service Provider - Talk Talk, Plusnet, Virgin Media, etc) and they provide your connection with a unique IP address that identifies where you are based when you then connect anywhere else across the whole Internet using whatever browser or app on your personal device.

With a VPN, you connect from the ISP to a different service provider’s server which replaces the ISP-given IP with one of their own (apparently from another location) so you appear to be somewhere else in the world when you connect onwards.

That’s the basics - but how do you actually connect to a VPN provider? A quick Google will show plenty of providers (including loads of paid-for ads), but it all depends on how much you are going to use it, what quality you need, and how much you are prepared to pay. Most of these will have variants depending on what platform your device uses (Microsoft Windows, Android, Apple iOS, Amazon Fire, or whatever) and different plans to sign up for once installed. Mostly it will either be an app or browser extension to start/stop as and when you need it.

Two that I’ve used myself that give reasonable quality on (limited) free connectivity are Windscribe and Melon VPN (the latter recommended to me by @hkpete). Admittedly I’ve only had to use them for streaming single games rather than several during over month, but there appeared to be enough unused of my monthly quota left after to stream several more game+

Melon I have on my mobile phone only (as an app downloaded from the Google Playstore), Windscribe on both phone and Amazon Firestick (again available in the official app store so no need to sideload). If I need to use them I first launch the app, pick a location I want to appear to be calling from, switch the VPN on, then open my browser or other Internet connected app (e.g. the EFL/iFollow app on mobile). When I’m done, just go back to the VPN app and close down the link - voila, I’m back in the UK!

I’ve not tried on on a Windows PC/laptop/tablet but guessing it won’t be any more difficult.

There is some blurb on the iFollow website that you have to be in the same country when watching as where you purchased the package (although people on here have commented that it still works when they have travelled elsewhere - including back to the UK!) so may be an idea to make sure you always select the same country you’re pretending to be in.

You will have to be “abroad” when purchasing the stream/pass and then again when watching it, but you don’t have to be at any other time. You can keep your current iFollow logon, and any payment cards you’ve got linked to that account, but it will be charged in the currency (and exchange rate) of the country you appear to be in.

If you do want to go down this route, probably a good idea to have a play well in advance of actually needing to use it.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, you also have to set up an account with the VPN provider, but that’s only the same as subscribing to iFollow. I haven’t had to give any credit card details in order to get my free packages with either Melon or Windscribe, or any personal data other than my e-mail address,

3 Likes

Thanks for posting. Will see how I get on

Could you repeat that.

1 Like

And then he writes a thesis on it…:grinning:

1 Like

That…

Just for you - connect the widget to the thingamajig, then press the wotnot … :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Andy, that was very helpful :+1:

20°C here. Sunny.

1 Like

According to the OS radio WM have been stopped comentating on away games as they are not permitted to travel.
Away commentary will be provided by Paul Joannou and Tom Heslop of the club’s media team until WM are permitted to attend away games.
The WM commentators will continue to provide the iFollow commentary for home games.

1 Like

It’s not all bad news then :joy:

3 Likes

Definitely getting you a shoutout still :joy:

1 Like

I don’t like shouting. A mention is sufficient, but only if you tell them to say hello to Belph in Spain who thinks you are all ■■■■■ :wink:

3 Likes

5 letters - super!

Will do :stuck_out_tongue:

:rofl::joy::joy::joy::rofl:

Tough game Saturday Oldham are top of the away table but 23rd in the home table so good travellers indeed.

1 Like

I saw that and thought it quite odd during these times where home and away must feel the same.

2 Likes

Exactly what I thought when I looked, it’s just a green surface 2 goal posts and a ball home or away isn’t it,why do you think they are so chalk and cheese in the home and away tables without spectators influencing the games now mate?

Possibly…

Long-distance travel - perhaps leaving home early and then a long coach journey (perhaps some players suffer from travel sickness). Some people don’t travel well.

Unfamiliar routines - there’s no place like home. Players like routines and knowing where everything is.

Different expectations - managers haven’t adjusted and still come with the same attitude, picking a team to get a point and / or picking a more defensive style of play.

1 Like