Is Keates Good Enough?

Exactly this.

Can Keates motivate players, no.
Organise a team, no.
Does his recruitment and team selection seem to follow any logic, no.
He keeps mentioning building a team, but could he build on our best ever start at this level, no.
Is he using resources wisely, no.
Has he been given a fair crack of the whip, yes - 12 months, two transfer windows and one pre-season.

There is absolutely no reason in footballing terms to persist with Deano, his tenure is already 2 or 3 games over the “red line” of complete untenable meltdown that no manager will recover from. Harsh though that is, its the nature of the job.

Personally I’ve got a horrible feeling he won’t get the sack and that’s not really good for anyone. If we turn in another tools down, non-performance next week resulting in another defeat to nil it will start to turn ugly at some point, surely nobody wants that?

10 Likes

Is it the end of next season his contract run out ? Anybody?

I think that the fans have been unusually patient with deano, and that is down to his former hero worship, but i don’t think it will last much longer, if as i suspect he takes us down, then how will that affect his relationship with fans next season in league 2?.

He’s crap at this management lark (with us, at present). Get rid.

He signed a deal until Summer 2021, which I believe is most likely the reason he is still with us. Not sure how much he is being paid but I am sure any pay off would hobble the playing budget for next season.

If he is still in charge then the size of the playing budget wont matter :rofl::rofl:

I can’t believe any Manager doesnt try their hardest - personal abuse is wrong but questioning the ability to do his job is quite correct.

1 Like

Keates complained in a recent interview that when he arrived in March last year there were 17 players who had contracts that took them into this season. He implied this was too big a number since it left him with limited options.

Am I right in thinking that those players were:
Liam Roberts
Mark Gillespie - was under contract till 2019, but left on a free to go to Motherwell.
Luke Leahy
Jon Guthrie
George Dobson
Nicky Devlin
Adam Chambers - injured
Kieron Morris - out on loan
Kory Roberts - injured
Liam Kinsella
Mitch Candlin
Maz Kouhyar
Jordon Sangha - out on loan
Callum Cockerill-Mollett - out on loan
Daniel Vann
Tobias Hayles-Docherty - out on loan

I make that 16 players, but perhaps I have missed someone.

I think that eight or nine players were out of contract at the end of 2017/18. Keates gave free transfers to five of them: Florent Cuvelier, Simeon Jackson, Reece Flanagan, Milan Butterfield and Will Shorrock.

He offered four out of contract players new deals: Joe Edwards and Dylan Parker accepted the offer. Erhun Oztumer declined. As for Amadou Bakayoko - club had the option to extend his contract, which it did, before selling him to Coventry.

That left a squad of 17 players before Keates needed to look elsewhere to strengthen.

Keates has brought to the club and given contracts to 11 players:
Chris Dunn
Andy Cook
Zeli Ismail
Morgan Ferrier
Josh Ginnelly - left
Josh Gordon
Isaiah Osbourne
Russell Martin - left
Dan Scarr
Cameron Norman
Omar Mussa

Keates’ loan signings are:
Kane Wilson - gone back
Connor Ronan - gone back

Matt Jarvis
Corey Blackett-Taylor
Scott Laird
Connor Johnson
Jack Fitzwater
Amaride Oteh

1 Like

Cameron Peters is the one you missed. He is on loan. DK has also brought in a goalie Joe Slynn who is on loan at Rushall Olympic.
Actually as I have posted before we gave too many youngsters 2 year deals so I agree with DK on that point.However he cannot say he hasn’t been backed when you look at the list of players signed.

1 Like

That list of Signings that Keates has made is terrible beyond belief.

Out please.

1 Like

As I said in the Summer, Keates should have made a handful of key signings (like Cook) who were first term certs, rather than spread the budget too thin and flood the squad with dross.

Ain’t that right Samsara Saddler,?!

Oh look who’s back. Thought you didn’t want to communicate with me?

All hypothetical, but if you think you’re right then you believe that :roll_eyes:

That signing list makes for horrendous reading. And doesn’t really support the hamstrung theory.

Off Keates’ list Cook is the only overriding success, the next best being arguably Ginnelly and then Johnson!

Reckon any regular L1 fan with functioning brain capacity could have recruited as well, or as badly.

Thanks for compiling all the info @Bernie

1 Like

Just thought I’d say Hi. Pleased Keates made the number of signings you told him to​:joy::joy:

Oh no not again … i can feel the Mods stepping in here again soon :rofl:

1 Like

Interesting from Nicky Devlin. One of the players who is supposedly so upset with Keates saying the players he inherited aren’t good enough.

I think that interview was done on Saturday, after the game. Before Devlin knew what Keates had said. (masi on twitter said he’d interviewed both of them on saturday).

This supposed criticism has been “reported” for weeks.

Well… he’s not going to say he doesn’t have the backing of the players is he? Non-story.

Do or die Saturday for Keates I think. I don’t think even a draw will save him.

2 Likes

I mean, he didn’t have to back him so strongly either.