Is relegation better for the future of the club?

Oh yeah. They will be flocking to get in for middle of the road league two.

1 Like

More so than chronic at the bottom end of Division 1.

Dont think we’ll begin seeing an increase in fan base which ever division we end up In personally , not until we rid the place of the money hoarder :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

If the one or two half decent players we have leave (and it is one or two), I genuinely doubt that the hub of what’s left, plus a few cheapo additions, would be good enough to be even mid table league two.

Go down and we’re in more trouble in my opinion.

1 Like

Last time we were down there for more than one season we had a smallish terrace where there was a heavy concentration of vocal support. There was terrace humour and banter - I know because it’s what hooked me in!

This time around we would have 2500 - 3500 lost in 11500 seats across that soulless hulk of a stadium - I’m sure anyone that has experienced a sub 4k crowd in there since the stand was redeveloped can imagine exactly how dire it is going to be on matchday.

The only way crowds will increase is if Bonser goes or we storm the division - neither of those will happen imo - not only that we are going to have to suffer so many clubs gloating over our demise and an awful last day for those heading to Shrewsbury to endure. What a mess - the more I think of it the more I want MO’C to succeed - but then this time next year we will be sat here in the same position again unless there is a change of approach from the top.

There is no easy or definitive answer…

2 Likes

:joy: ok mate :+1:

Sid, this is not unusual, many clubs in the leagues sign players on contracts longer than one year, despite the risk of success or failure of that player. Many still move on to other clubs a year later. This is not an issue particular to Walsall

Sorry, got issue with this. Look at our history? yes great, but until Uncle B spends a load of his pension on development of a time machine this means little in this context. This is how the club perceives itself now and where its going, that’s what is important. Plus, how far do you want to go back? in the 21st century we have spent one season in that bottom division, hardly home is it? more a mucky weekend break in Bridport.

1 Like

Something far more likely to get mass interest at the moment.

1 Like

Certainly mass something.

1 Like

Where’s Kelly Brooke when you need her? :thinking::grin:

3 Likes

This season is our 100th in league football.

So far…
2nd division - 15 seasons
3rd division - 76 seasons
4th division - 9 seasons

We are obviously drifting there but looking at our history we are NOT a 4th division side.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, yes happily relaxing in derbysaddler’s private spa getting pampered before I get home later.

1 Like

… about that Rohypnol I lent you. :smile:

1 Like

Good stats there Pingu.

This is why we have to be really mindful of any narrative trying to establish that’s our natural level, its not…yet.

2 Likes

The only fly in league ointment is that Div 4 isn’t that historical and we finished bottom of D3 South on a fair few occasions so would have been in there a bit more often.

Yeah it ran out quickly.

1 Like

3rd or 4th I said derby,overwhelmingly 3rd.

No doubt the club has gone very stale at league one level.

If getting relegated meant Bonser would walk away I’d take that but it’s not going to happen.

Problem is last time the team went down it was only 2 years after the championship years so dare I say there was a bit more faith and connection between club and the fans? Certainly there were many home attendances of 5-6k and next to no chance of that happening with some of the limited away support from teams like Crawley and Forest Green.

You’d be looking at a few sub 3k crowds in midweek I suspect.

IMO club would be heading into the bottom half where Vale, Crewe, Notts County, Northampton and Oldham all live and all the dangers a season or two of that could lead when you see where Notts County are with 5 games left.

So what’s more depressing than a club annually in bottom half of league one with little chance of promotion and owned by Jeff Bonser? A club in bottom half of league two with little chance of promotion and owned by Jeff Bonser.

Can’t quite bring myself to say “bring it on” tbh.

1 Like

Good point. In last 10 years Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, Sheffield United, Sunderland, Bolton and Blackburn have all hit rock bottom in league one and many of them got straight back up at first time of asking and properly regrouped as clubs. Sunderland would certainly fit the 90% budget argument.

Only Pompey and Coventry didn’t really bottom out and still had another relegation in them although Coventry got out of league two in one season (through the play offs) and at least on the pitch appear to be on the up.

Sad reality is if Walsall go down and Salford City come up then Salford will have a miles bigger budget, they’re paying Adam Rooney 4k a week in non league. AFC Flyde also strike me as a club who’ll be splashing the cash if they make league football.

Walsall in no form strike the criteria as a club that is “too big for league 2” so I really fear it will be a much longer spell in league 2 this time. Only positive of that is hopefully fan pressure will build, Mole and Gamble will actually realise anymore soundbites will insult fanbase and just shut up and as Bonser nears 80 he finally has a bit of a moral compass as the legacy he’s going to eventually leave is rapidly descending into the p*** poor category.

4 Likes