Is relegation better for the future of the club?

Keates’ fault this year, Whitney’s fault last year, prior to Smith it was Hutchings (and a certain Martin O’Connor’s) fault - can’t you see only one manager in 15 years has bucked a worrying trend? The facts and figures are in front of your face! We have dodged a bullet three or four times now, while only challenging once :roll_eyes:

We can’t keep blaming managers - Whitney was the worst we had ever had apparently, now he’s the second worse? Why don’t we all stop indulging in wishy washy fairy tales, concentrate on the facts & set all of our sights on the real problem instead of waiting until it gets worse and the inevitable does happen? Sigh.

3 Likes

I agree that this season is down to Keates.

He set us up the same way he set Wrexham up and his game plan was build on percentages.

Giving teams time to cross in the hope that a high percentage of the time the cross isn’t good enough or that he has enough bodies to deal with it. Which worked in the conference due to the quality of player.

Putting a high percentage of balls into the box for us in the hope that we would get on the end.

Playing percentage balls into the box for a 6ft striker to compete with. Which was too obvious once we were figure out after August.

As was playing percentage balls into a striker for flick ons and second balls.

We were found out and Keates didn’t know how to change it

2 Likes

I understand all that totally but for people to say we would be better off going down is madness . Bonser is going nowhere and why would he taking 450k a year in . There will never be enough support to get the leach out . You firstly need the media and radio on side . And they are of no help whatsoever.

And yeah even in the darkest of days I do try and find a bit of positivity otherwise what’s the point in supporting my club.

3 Likes

Spot on. Again. We are a fourth division club now.

3 Likes

The sad thing about all of this is that the last 10 years, specifically, have killed the passion and reduced the fan base to apathy.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if there is any serious action in the next 6 months against the regime - but I seriously doubt it.

People can’t be arsed anymore. That’s the real crime here.

The honest truth is I don’t believe anyone of us really want this club of ours to go down .

I understand what some are saying but we would seriously struggle to get back out of the 2nd with the other clubs mounting ambitious teams , desperately trying to build bigger and better football clubs , and progress up the next level .

That is something our Chairman would not be prepared to do as he lacks any ambition for this club of ours .

No we should fight for our lives , and try as hard as humanly possible to avoid this relegation , and then get a reasonable manager in that can keep us in this league while we as true supporters help and back Rob and Simon to get a large and determined group to push this sale we all crave once and for all .

The only way this Chairman will sell is with continued pressure from us loyal supporters who want our club back and in the hands of someone who wants to progress as a football club , not as a money making pension feeding obsession of a greedy businessman

4 Likes

Also, people need to remember that if we do go down then we have to endure two hours of Shrews fans taking the absolute ■■■■. So no, lets just stay up.

2 Likes

Yeah especially if we go down before we play the shrews . As I got me and my boy tickets for the game this morning . It so important that we get behind O’Connor and the team and at least take it to the last game of the season.

5 Likes

Really Do not want us playing in the bottom tier next season, for those old enough to remember the Kenny Hibbitt years of the 90’s will tell you it can be very dire place of which back then took us 5 seasons to get out of !! Fortunately we stumbled across a certain Chris Nicholl or we could still be there today. Respect fans opinions but league one survival for me at all costs.

5 Likes

Relegation is a disaster. The worst area of the club is the investment in the playing side of the team. Do you think that is going to be better or worse when we drop down a division?

I’d be amazed if we are promoted automatically next year. Our budget is top half/play offs in that league as it stands.

For those us who are old enough, a reminder of the early 90s is exactly what is needed here.
For all the euphoria of 1995, the five years that preceded it were dire.
Just have a think of some of the ‘talent’ that graced the shirt then.

3 Likes

I would be a lot more likely to go and watch them start afresh in the 2nd division,than to have another very average season in league 1.funk.

Is relegation better? nope.

Player Budget will be again cut due to ‘relegation and then associated financial adjustments’

Increases fan apathy

Rent cheque still paid

lower relevance of the club overall

even more sparsely attended Bescot

Reduced earnings

Helps increase the narrative been peddled that we were lucky to be lurking in league 1 and league 2 is our real level.

4 Likes

Is relegation better…Yes
Player budget…Keates signed everyone on 2.5yr contracts,no room for maneuver there.
Increased fan apathy…Really…can it get any worse?
Rent cheque still paid…Yes
Lower relevance…yes…we’re very relevant at the moment…just look at E&S & Radio WM etc
Attendances…I’d rather pay to watch a 2nd division club doing well than the Status quo
Reduced earnings…I think there would be bigger crowds to watch a successful 2nd div team
Narrative…Look at our history,WE ARE A 3RD-4TH TIER CLUB…FACT!!!

P.S… Anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Ainsley Harriot derby?..:thinking:

1 Like

Whats stopping us selling with no replacement? I’m not worried about us selling anyone really but do you think they will actually be replaced at all?

Yes. Obviously.

Who says we’d be doing well?

1 Like

Who says we wouldn’t?

1 Like

Me. I’d be amazed if we are pushing towards the automatic promotion places next season. I said so here:

That’s before it’s cut with the excuse being “we have dropped down a level/attendances have fallen”.

I have far more basis to believe we would be middle of the road than I do to believe we will be successful.

Middle of the road is better than chronic in my book.

1 Like

Oh yeah. They will be flocking to get in for middle of the road league two.

1 Like