Is relegation better for the future of the club?

Is it? We’re about to find out…

2 Likes

I think this is us now.

We’re a fourth division club with a fourth division budget and fourth division support.

We’ve fallen miles behind some who used to be smaller than us, with Lincoln City being the latest to zoom past.

6 Likes

Chances are we’ll be outdone by a recent non-league club too, not to mention the likes of Newport, should they fail to go up.

1 Like

No. Relegation is a BAD thing and I disagree with those who say “we can reset and rebuild now” because we should be doing that from League 1.

If, as I fear, we struggle next season, the potential for disastrously dropping out of the league altogether becomes too close for comfort.

Just ask Stockport and Tranmere fans (as I have done over the past few seasons).

Don’t think we will bounce straight back this time. And don’t think we will have a choice of great players.

In league 1 we would have better options because of we are. In league 2 the choice will be worse and we will struggle.

So relegation is a total disaster and I can’t believe anybody would think otherwise.

9 Likes

I don’t mind how far we fall as long as we get our Walsall FC back.

1 Like

I think it will do the club and fans the world of good,as long as we come back up within 2 seasons at the most.Much longer than that, and the fan base will probably fall to about 2,500,JB will have to re-think his pension fund payments (he’s only got enough to last him till he’s 133yrs old).Once you spend more than 2 seasons in Division 2,you start to become a fixture,which is not good.

1 Like

Why do you think that, Sid? Wouldn’t it be better to be at the higher level?

We’ve been at a higher level for years Manchester,and to be honest it’s been the quality of football that stopped me paying good money to watch them.I just think taking a step downwards could be the thing we need to start some momentum for fans and club alike.

Don’t forget that the quality in League 2 will be awful. I used to take the kids to Stockport occasionally and some of the games were terrible. That worries me. We may end up being far worse.

Fingers crossed,it will be the launching pad for a better future :crossed_fingers:

A bit like the football the fans have been used to in LEAGUE 1 this season.

Yeah - I guess you have a point.

1 Like

I like your optimism.

:slight_smile:

A big reason relegation is bad is the handcuffs that the early bird concept place around pricing strategy at the lower level.

I can’t foresee a league game next season where there will be more occupied seats than empty seats (I.e a crowd over 5,500). If it wasn’t for the early bird you’d hope the board would be right now considering a pricing strategy that could improve the situation.

At the very least they now need to be considering the matchday atmosphere which has the potential to be worse than ever next year. The £10/£5 walk up (or a season ticket for any part of the ground)for unallocated seats in the away end should be back on the agenda. Most Away followings will be small. Really small in some cases. So forget all the guff about police advice. Do something.

6 Likes

To shoot bonzo and the doo dah band of brothers from a cannon :grin:

The midweek attendances will likely be pretty dire with fans having the option of ifollow for a tenner.

That’s all we’ve got left mate…:grinning:

I agree. Unless we’re going really well there will be some sub 3,000 crowds. If you took out those who get in for free these are levels of paying support that are back to the troughs of the early 80’s and early 90’s. They were grim days but with a terraced “end” even 2,500 folk could create a bit of atmosphere. 2,500 people in the current set up is akin to reserve team atmospheres.

3 Likes

New owners in at Port Vale today and their first action was to purchase Vale Park in its entirety and bring it back under the ownership of the club.

7 Likes

Just think of the positivity that news must provide to Port Vale fans. Really does put Bonser’s position on ‘selling the club’ under scrutiny.

9 Likes