“It’s going to be a long old season but I think my fans already know that.“

Yep. Can’t blame the budget for this either when he had almost the entire budget to work with himself instead of having players tied down like the summer before…

That’s a really good article about Mansfield and their owner buying back the ground.
A very similar situation to our.
The big difference is that they were paying 100k per year to rent their own stadium apposed to the 450k we have to fork out.

1 Like

I’m not bothered about transfer fees tbh but a good quality loan or two in is a must.

Of course it will be more difficult attracting them than fighting the top 6 but plenty of relegation threatened sides at all levels have signed decent players of the years, remember picking up Ledesma in the 2010/11 season? Joachim also came in in the March of the 04/05 season and pretty much kept the side up in the run in.

Someone else mentioned him yesterday but I checked and Swindon signed Eoin Doyle on 16th August. Here is guy Bradford wanted to get off the books, proven goalscorer (at league one) for Chesterfield a few seasons ago and even last season in Bradford’s awful year he scored 11 in league one.

Where on earth were Walsall? This was two weeks into the takeover, people were dreaming of marquee attacking signing and I can’t believe Swindon have that much of a bigger budget given they’ve been in league two since 2017. Just the 14 league goals from him so far this season.

Where were Walsall, oh yeah patiently waiting for Salford to decide to let Gaffney leave. Them the breaks or not.

3 Likes

Yes I remember Ledesma coming maybe a loan or 2 of the right player will help but it’s just not enough for me I’m afraid… so so frustrating when WE can see these players like you mentioned(Eoin Doyle) but the people at the club don’t who’s in charge of recruitment DC himself? Do we have a scouting system if so what are they doing?

1 Like

For me it’s more frustrating when some talented young players from the Midlands clubs either get loaned out or released and Walsall don’t seem interested. Baffling when you think of the success of taking Mantom, Downing and Sawyers from WBA reserves in 2012 and making them into good football league players.

You mentioned Crawley Scoobs, they have a lad called Bez Lubala. They signed him on a free from Blues in the summer.

Jake Doyle Hayes did well at Cambridge last season loan from Villa. Now a regular in a Cheltenham team looking good for promotion.

1 Like

It is frustrating did I see Callum O’Hare go out to Carlisle on loan from Villa earlier this year I might be wrong but I’m sure he did because I remember thinking we are literally round the corner lad no need to move away from the area right on your doorstep at Walsall it is very strange I have to agree with you.

He’s outgrown league two now I’m afraid, regular starter for Cov at the top end of league one this season. Certainly one who should’ve been looked at some stage last season.

Went for that Ronan guy at Wolves instead and it was quickly decided he couldn’t fit into the formation at the time so was rarely used.

The same Coventry City who ain’t got a home ground currently playing at St Andrews and financial problems in recent times but still attracting players of good quality and doing well in the league makes me wonder it does.

Doyle is on loan until Jan at Swindon. Bradford don’t want to be paying his wages apparently. I don’t think Swindon could afford him for any longer, but he can’t go anywhere new as he has played for two teams already this season.

I think they will have a bigger budget as they possibly have the third biggest budget behind Bradford average attendance 14k, and Plymouth who are averaging around the 9k Mark. I believe Swindon average between 6.5 and 7k

You’re right there. I always had them down as a 4-5k attendance club but looking at attendance from the Oztumer wonder goal game in 2016 and that was 6.5k.

Also over 6k for the midweek game in 2015 which was one of Smith’s last games in charge. I just assumed a bit lower because that stand behind the goal is always empty unless there’s an away support overspill as of course happened in May 2007.

If attendance figures are a benchmark for budgets then we should be top 10 but we were apparently mid table league 2 last season so what is it now ? Yes Clarke hasn’t made the best use of whatever he’s been given but I still can’t believe it’s much looking at this squad

Take those three clubs out of the equation and then there are quite a few clubs averaging between 4,250 to 5000, including us around the 4700 mark, so surely our budget can’t be that low in the division .

Then you have two clubs sitting in the top four who we have played at the Banks this season who average 2500 or less, Cheltenham and Forest Green, surely these two don’t have bigger budgets than us, but both clubs have very decent teams with no household names amongst them, only Luke Varney for Cheltenham. For me it’s down to the management teams ability and ours seems badly lacking in all departments compared to these teams.

4 Likes

Have to agree wholeheartedly, DC is supposed to have loads of coaching badges, what are they for? Coaching infants perhaps?
Marcus Stewart is supposed to coach our forwards (hahahah!), the most incompetent set of barstewards ever to grace the shirt. Obviously although he might have been OK as a forward himself, he has no idea how to coax a decent attack or shot out of any of 'em.
I was the first to complain about Keate’s array of useless backroom staff, who used to sit around like statues robbing a salary, but the current lot to be honest are just as futile.
Even DC has stopped being active on the touchline, sort of resembles Keates, looking as if he hasn’t got a clue how to sort out the mess. His team picks are out of a bingo box, his team talks must be as futile as his training and his substitutions…well, bring on a defender for a forward when you are losing? The average fan seems to know more than he is capable of.
I for one was delighted at his appointment, at last a well reknown proper manager, with coaching badges and a reputation for promotions out of nothing, but sadly he has proved to be a complete waste of space, devoid of ideas, devoid of management nous.
Sorry but it’s time for someone new to come in to sort out this mess, waiting for January to come round for him to pick up a load more cheap and useless misfits is a mistake. The players we have must be coached properly, within this squad IS a team that could win matches, DC just can’t, or won’t find it.

I don’t know about Cheltenham, but FGR’s owner has a net worth in the region of £107 million.

The fact that he can afford to deprive his supporters of meat shows what attendance means to him!

1 Like

Absolutely agree Gav, our supposedly No1 fan still milking the club for his and his family’s benefit, he’s made himself a millionaire a few times over on the back of this club, we’re in this mess due to one mans greed!!! A weak board of yes men directors ( that includes Pomlett ) that just sat back and let the leech do what ever he wanted, they should all hang their heads in shame! Oh and the Whalley man should also be mentioned as the leeches right hand man for many years, no doubt has also benefited financially from our club. Gamble and Mole seem to have gone underground? I suppose that’s quite natural in Mole"s case😋 We have surely witnessed the most gross mismanagement of a clubs identity,ambition ever seen during the leeches tenure. Pomlett if you are to be taken seriously and still not holding onto the leeches coat tail sweep this bunch of morons from our club from the crap players to the crap board of yes men, l bloody despair at these cretins, rant over, ( for now )

3 Likes

addlerHQ

Which Thomas is that? Just checked on Danny Thomas and the only footballer that comes up is a 60 year old ex Spurs player, mind you probably an improvement on some of those signed!

My error. I meant to say Matty Thomas.

It’s a disgrace. Fancy making people go without meat for a couple of hours :wink:

1 Like

Do you work at the food stall at Bescot, by any chance?

No :smile:

But I wouldn’t have a problem if we adopted the FGR model.

1 Like