It's all over bar the shouting!

Pogba s hair looks nothing like yours mate

1 Like

Wrote something similar to this well over a year ago but didn’t post it for fear that I was being overly depressing, but I think it’s spot on. COVID has just accelerated the inevitable.

I feel like we’re reaching an inevitable ‘end point.’ The end point that, by it’s nature of being a sport where the ultimate goal is to be the biggest and best and most successful, it was ultimately always going to reach.

The Premier League is to our club what Amazon is to a small local retailer. And we’ve seen the trajectory of small local retailer versus that of Amazon in the last 12 months - Amazon being the ‘winners’ of the game of capitalism rather than the football, in this case.

I just don’t think in the way the game works currently we can really hope to push on, for a multitude of reasons. It might not be this season, or the next - but I see the prospect of being a Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County or Stockport County far more likely than anything else right now, because the game changed 15 years ago and we didn’t. Clubs like Rotherham and Doncaster have grown their fanbases, we’ve not. The damage was done ages ago.

Cheltenham. Cambridge. Lincoln. Accrington. All clubs streets ahead of us now. Let that sink in. How have we conspired to end up this hopeless?

Obviously this feeling is exacerbated by our largely woeful existence in the last 2-3 years. It’s one of the main reasons I’ve not posted as much in the last year or so as before. With just the bare football served up in front of me every week without even the virtues of seeing people at the games, I just don’t feel it as much anymore.

4 Likes

Mentioned this in the ding dong with the Vale fan but just looking at league 1 table and it’s hard in next 5 years to even see the club become established in that area again and have a gew at trying to make the play offs if promotion can be achieved in the near future.

Currently in it are Hull, Pompey, Sunderland, Charlton and just about Ipswich. 4 of them been prem clubs in last 15 years and 4 all had long spells in championship so really yo yo clubs between the two. If Wigan weren’t in such a mess they’d be right up there aswell as they’ve proved in previous seasons when they’ve come down and gone straight back up.

Over last five years money has really filtered from premier league into championship and now you get ridiculous fees and wages so that has inevitably started to filter down to league 1.

Will still get the odd anamoly team like Wycombe or Lincoln doing what Burton did in 15/16 but they tend to build their success more on mythical cup runs and good managerial appointments who can bring in good loan players so until those things start happening here again the near future is pretty bleak.

3 Likes

Good post! Chuck in other clubs that have rich owners and more ambition, then it’s tough.

Of course ÂŁ8k extra a week would make a big difference, just a shame we spend that on rent rather than the squad.

4 Likes