Jayden Reid returns to Birmingham after just one appearance for Walsall

Free loans make this club a complete laughing stock.

Simply no way can it be repeated next season otherwise Pomlett is basically coming out and lying to the fanbase if he does his big promotion sell in pre season interview.

Who knew someone who barely scored for Barrow would be complete s*** here aswell.

If the only way we can develop a positive relationship is by shoehorning some kid into the starting line up to keep their parent club happy then sod them.

Lets focus on hopefully with the help of a DoF develop a posititive relationship by having a nice playing style that clubs want their youngsters to experience and grow into.

1 Like

Exactly, we have to look at why and when we loan these players.

Take a bloke from a local club’s U21s in pre-season with the intention of him bringing quality and tactical value fair enough, especially if you don’t have to uproot him.

Loan a bloke from a local club’s youth academy in the final hours of the transfer window as a last gasp attempt to get bodies in, because you have no transfer strategy or contingency, then it’s unlikely to go well for anyone.

8 Likes

I have only skim read it but from what Reid has said about wanting to earn a contract for next season it makes me wonder whether it has done any damage between us and Blues. Maybe the reality is we have fed back he’s just not ready yet to make the step into men’s football and Blues have thanked us for our honest assessment of him. It’s hard without knowing the behind the scenes.

I know there wasn’t much expectation around Adnan George to play and he was here more to train with the men’s team and act as a backup if we needed him.

What’s more worrying to me is the amount we are bringing loans in that just ain’t ready, I’d expect a better return on our loans of ones who add to our team compared to ones that flop.

2 Likes

Now there IS a novelty :smile:

2 Likes

As a league club (for now…) we really need these players to be at least 19 and preferably have at least one other loan spell under their belt. As a minimum they need to be familiar with the physicality of senior football and playing outside of their development environment.

1 Like

Not often I disagree with you Dan but they do loan out their decent young players to clubs at this level, Forest Green took Odin Bailey last season and he played 5 games before it was curtailed. All parties obviously happy with how it went so he went back there this season and been a regular in team in top 7.

Cheltenham I think have a west Brom loanee and this time last year Northampton signed Morton who was at West Brom at the time and he pretty much fired them up through play offs on his own.

It’s worrying to me if local clubs just see Walsall now as work experience loan level which Blues are currently doing. Stock of club in pretty much every department is really at all time low now so simply have to work behind the scenes to repair things with whoever the DOF will eventually be.

Wonder what the Villa academy thinks of Wright being played as right wing back for most of his time here?! People demanding Dean Smith sends half the youth team here but really that sort of thing would understandbly make them think twice.

1 Like

Yep that’s the difference and really sums up the management. There was obvious logic to DS bringing in likes of Mantom, Sawyers and Downing all from West Brom when there was little experience in football league between them, Mantom went straight in while the other two had to bide and wait for a chance for a few months but once they came in they generally stayed in for the next 3 years and helped pushed the club up league one.

See next to no logic in the current set up and it’s not like there’s even that good strikers keeping them out of the team, you could understand it more if Adebayo was still here but he isn’t.

Adebayo is actually a decent example to what you say, had already been out at Swindon, Cheltenham and Stevenage before turning up here so really he knew it was his last chance to become full league striker and after taking a couple of months to settle down he well and truly took it.

1 Like

Well I certainly didnt see how he trained etc and I suspect most of us didnt - but he’s have to be pretty poor if he want worth given a chance to ahead of Gordon.

Josh works his socks off every game - but cant see him scoring in a month of sunday’s at the moment.

1 Like