Josh Ginnelly

I think he was a victim to Whitneys poor management to be honest. I definitely saw flashes of a good solid winger in him. My main critisism of him would be that he was a little lightweight but since his spell with us he’s won two promotions playing in a physical league so I think that can only have done him good. We’ll see I guess. Hopefully he’ll be a surprise like Dobbo.

1 Like

Ginnelly on the one wing with Lalkovic on the other?

No thanks

3 Likes

Only played 10 games for Tranmere.
Probably a good fit:

• a winger
  • hungry to prove himself
  • cheap enough

Squad player rather than starter for me.
Bring in Zell.

#betterthankouyar

2 Likes

Sorry, went there before you :grinning:

Could end up a good signing very hit and miss when here but how much that was down to JW and how he used who knows. At least it looks as if Keats as got a plan and is bringing in players to fit.

Cheers for the insight. Ginnelly stats for 17/18 look okay. 31 appearances, 22 of those starts, 5 goals. Not too shabby for a low salary winger. In the market we shop in, he looks a decent punt.

1 Like

I think that’s a decent bit of business. He was raw when we last saw him but still had a couple of belting games and showed glimpses in others.

As others have said, it looks like Keates is dead clear on how he wants to play and the type of player he likes. In other words a plan. How novel.

2 Likes

My memory may be wrong too, but I seem to remember He was totally cack and lacking any quality whatsoever. One of the players we were all glad to see the back of and mentioned prominently on any list of Whitney’s worst signings. Let’s hope he is ten times the player he looked last time.

He had a couple of really good games (Mk Dons away I think one of them was … 1-1?) with brief glimpses of promise in others. I think the general consensus was that he was a bit too lightweight for us after he left.

1 Like

Yep my memory of him too.

Can’t help but feel if it had been Whitney signing him the response would be far more negative.

I’m pleased we have signed players that fit a system and a style of play, but with two non league players and a non league backroom staff signed so far I really hope we see some proven quality added otherwise we could be in real trouble this year.

Low risk move.

Could work out, more than likely won’t. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

4 Likes

Was going to say exactly the same thing regards JW.

Josh did nothing here last time and ever since he’s been in the Conference. I would rather give our own youngsters a go (Kouhyar in this case) than make this type of acquisition.

Hope I m wrong and I wish him the best of luck but nothing about this says “good signing”.

Ye i would say the same, costing us next to nothing, he has something to prove, probably an off the bench impact squad player? win win :wink:

1 Like

Not overly excited with this one, but will give him a few games to prove himself one way or another.

Given it was announced at half 7 in the morning with little fanfare you might be right.

Look forward to seeing him though, wasn’t really given much playing time by JW but the glimpses that we saw there was promise there.

1 Like

He played quite well at Franchise when I went there, can’t remember if he started the game or was sub.

Surprised he’s come back but actually DK will know plenty about his game given he’s been on loan at Lincoln and Tranmere last 18 months.

Worth remembering if it was going to be 4-4-2 you need 4 wide men in your squad so I’m not sure he’ll be a starter but will come to give the squad depth and more options.

Who’s getting a season ticket next to Alexandra Burke then…:wink:

Alexandra Burke is with a different Josh Ginnelly…Sorry!

Tranmere fan here.

Disappointed Ginnelly didn’t agree a full time deal with us.But hope he does really well for your lot, so goodluck to him and you.

We had him on loan second half of last season.He had a belting debut scoring a goal and setting up another.But then seemed to find it difficult to sometimes get on our bench, due to there only being 5 subs at that level and our manager wanting certain players there all the time.He found his way back into the starting 11 though, and had a great game against Ebbsfleet in the Play off semi’s scoring a cracking 25 yarder to get us back in the game at 2-2.Went off early due to injury in the final, but certainly played his part in getting us up.

He’ll do well for you even in L1 imo.Hes certainly got potential.

Goodluck.

6 Likes