Josh Ginnelly

if we end up with Ginnelly and Lalkovic then we have gone backwards … fact

I wouldn’t say backwards because our current options on the wings are Morris and Kouyar, but it is all very League 2.

2 Likes

By vast majority I’m going by the general opinion of friends and fellow fans online. From what I’ve seen and heard the vast majority see this an an “okay” signing, adding they see potential in him from his last spell. That’s the general consensus of fans I associate with and my thoughts too. Were you are MK Dons away? Laird scored I believe and he set up the goal. He was very good that day. To say there’s no evidence to say it’s a good signing seems a little over the top to me. He ain’t a world beater by any means and he may flop, but I believe there’s a player there who can be effective at league one level. Hopefully that’s with us.

2 Likes

As @WarrenDrack says above, he’s a decent risk for the market we shop in.

2 Likes

Yeah I think a “decent risk” is a good way of describing it.

1 Like

Didn’t see much of the lad the first time around but I’m hoping that he has improved since then & that he’ll contribute towards a successful season for the Saddlers.
At 21 he can no longer be deemed a prospect, so will need to perform consistently if he’s to have a decent career.

As I referred to earlier, Josh hasn’t just experienced men’s football since leaving us, he’s experienced two promotions in two seasons. That means the lad has a winning mentality instilled, and albeit from the Conference, has been around teams who know how to get the job done and get over the line. He played in both the Imps and the Rovers promotion matches, and the comments heard from both sets of fans are that they would have liked him to stay.

For all those saying “meh” and the likes because it’s not Gareth Bale signing, I think this will prove astute. I know not everything always works out, but Gino and Cook could be our top assist and goal combo next season.

1 Like

Hopefully we will sign another winger with experience at this kind of level. Ginnelly is young so may offer some spark or it may fall seriously flat. Morris hasnt offered much really. Even with say ismail or Lalkovic i wouldnt be too excited by the wing options

There’s a couple of things that people rarely mention about Ginnelly. Firstly, he’s not a product of Burnley’s academy or any such thing. He started his career at Shropsh***e, and they were desperate to keep him after he briefly broke into the first team because they reckoned he was going to be the next big thing. His agent however engineered the move to Burnley, probably far too early to benefit his career given their promotion to the Premier league and the fact that he was an unproven 18 year old. Also, his loan spell at Lincoln included the first half of last season when they were in league 2, not the National League. Also, if he can do this
Josh Ginnelly Solo Goal - Runs 70 yards with the ball to score - YouTube
And this
JOSH GINNELLY WONDER GOAL VS NOTTS COUNTY !!! - YouTube
He’s got talent.
Do it on a regular basis, and he’s got a career as a footballer.

4 Likes

Perhaps, but the two loan spells last season were both in divisions below and he wasn’t a first team regular in either. He played just over half the games at Lincoln and just under half at a conference team in Tranmere. Also some fans have said he looked good at MK Dons at Sheff Utd, what about the 20 - 25 games we played while he was with us when he did nothing? Personally I hope for more from a player than being able to count his good games in a season on one hand.

I just hope that deano knows what he is doing? and at the moment i am willing to put my trust in him :neutral_face:

And that’s the rub. He’s at a stage where he’s got to produce or almost certainly drop into that lower level probably to never be seen again, and he’s now joined a club, similar to his original one, where the reputation is to give that opportunity. Nobody was doing cartwheels when we signed Tom Bradshaw, or going further in time the likes of Darren Wrack or Pedro Matias. Even Oztumer had only ever blown hot and cold at Posh.

For whatever signing on fee and wage deal he got at Burnley, I bet he wished he’d stayed at Shrewsbury. If he had done, and taken his opportunity, he might now be looking at a Rico type move instead of scratching a make or break one year deal with us. Let’s hope that experience has re-focussed his hunger to make a success of his career.

5 Likes

A bit harsh there MJF. He played 9 games for us only, not 20+ in a team where we deliberately didn’t play wide, instead we tried to play it narrow through the middle in a variety of midfield dominant formations. I think it’s only fair to judge him playing in a traditional winger role. Let us not forget that he also helped us beat the Slops 3-2 on his debut, deserves his chance for this fact alone!

2 Likes

He only played 9 because he wasn’t good enough to play anymore though?

Tranmere and Lincoln both play wingers and he wasn’t a regular in either and they both play below us. I don’t think it’s harsh to be concerned that a guy who only played half the games he was available for in a conference team may not be up to league 1 level?

He only played 9 because he did’t chant Believe loud enough.

Bit of a MEH signing, remember watching him at an away match at Rochdale and it was embarrassing, he looked like a little boy lost, hope he has gained some confidence since he left us last time.

Evidenced, I believe, by the comments surrounding Andy Cook’s recent signing. His people very impressed with DK and it contributed to us fighting off competition for his signature.

Or thump his chest:laughing:

How’s Josh getting on?

Been injured. Will be back for the start if the season.