Josh Gordon

Not the greatest of times for Saddlers fans but for me Josh is showing signs of turning into a Walsall legend. OK, he ain’t prolific but boy does he work his backside off for the team, 100% effort every match and for that I applaud him.

I know for many this level of effort should be a given but with a lot of players in the modern game it seems to be sadly lacking. Flash genuinely seems to care about the club and plays with pride. Hopefully the goals will continue to come as he develops and for me he has been a bright spark in dark season.

14 Likes

Think legend might be pushing it but agree he’s showing everything that a fan asks in terms of his work rate etc. Just needs to add goals now as that’s ultimately what he’s paid to do and every fan will hope he starts to do it regularly. Seems a genuinely good guy who works hard, why wouldn’t you want to see someone like that succeed?!

7 Likes

When he’s at his niggly, nasty best it’s great to watch. Never stops working, encourages his teammates, drops the little nudges and trips the ref doesn’t always see, chases lost causes, wins more than his fair share of headers and what a great finish today. You can see what Clarke means when he talks about Gordon having the right mentality.

Highlight today was him twice telling a lad in the main stand where to throw the ball back so we could run the clock down!

Early contender for POTS for me.

14 Likes

It’s easy to forget that before coming to us, although he’d had a year on Leicester’s books, his first-team experience was for Newcastle Town, Nantwich, Rhyl and Stafford Rangers, all of whom are way down the pyramid. It takes time to adjust to league football and he’s showing signs of coming good. He was my man of the match today by a distance.

5 Likes

I agree, that’s why I said on his way. I really hope he sticks around at the club and continues to progress. If he can add more goals to his passion and effort I reckon he will be one of the few players that we will look back on fondly in the current crop.

1 Like

Good player, works hard, right mentality (Sound abit like DC :smile:)

But far, far away from putting a legend status on his name.

1 Like

He is a good lad. More to come.

2 Likes

The lads work ethics is what has carried him through, even though he hasn’t been a prolific goal scorer he has always put in 100%

2 Likes

I like Gordon always puts a shift in not a natural goal scorer But for a small bloke wins his fair amount of headers and the opposing defenders will not be given an easy game. I was really disappointed with the grief he had at a few games especially Crewe away from one total idiot who gave him dogs abuse.Hope he realises that he has the full support of the majority.

2 Likes

Have to agree with @simon, the way he was orchestrating the ballboys/fans to waste time was a highlight and good game management.

But for me the stand out moment was when he chased down the Orient keeper in the 90th minute to win us a corner. Killed the game and allowed us to play out the remaining minutes in the right areas of the pitch.

8 Likes

Yep. And equally there was a moment when Lavery chased down a lost cause and won a corner and Gordon was clapping his effort and geeing him up. That’s the mentality you need.

5 Likes

As others have said, his game management in those final few mins was superb. He is getting better as the season progresses. He is getting there.

Keeping two up top was a bold move which paid off. The majority of teams in this league would have just camped in their own half and invited long balls into the area, although it does help having two willing runners in Gordon and Lavery.

It was pleasing to see us look to be on the front foot even when it was 10 vs 12.

3 Likes

Yeah gets a lot of stick on here some just some unjust but fair play to our boss this evening :clap:t2: A win at Salford will see us overtake them and maybe into the top half of the table.

3 Likes

Think he suffers from the odd spell of really low confidence that holds him back at times.

When confident though, like now, his effort is infectious and offers a lot to the team.

He’s never going to be super prolific as his movement is always reactionary rather than reading the play but forwards can offer a lot more than just goals.

2 Likes

His goal record as a number 10 needs to vastly improve before I tout him as a potential legend but you can’t deny his effort. He leaves nothing in the tank every game.

Him and McDonald have been our best players in the last 2 months always gives his all and pleased to see him getting on the scoresheet regularly now.

3 Likes

Legend?? He will need to score some goals first!

My goodness, Thanatos is correct when he says Walsall fans are the most fickle in the Midlands! Shall I trawl back a couple of months to the threads where fans are slating him and saying “get rid”. Sensible voices at the time were pointing out that he’d had some unspecified personal problems over the summer and this could well be affecting him, but were shot down saying he was no good and would struggle to make a career in non league.
Gordon is a decent player at this level and probably the next level up. How old is he now anyway? In some ways, he reminds me of a developing deeney, you can see the attributes and, if he can bring them all together and keep learning, he’ll be such an invaluable player as he ages. Problem is, if he was reading all the slating he was getting on here not so long ago, he’ll probably be added to the list of players who go elsewhere at the first opportunity.

5 Likes

reminds me on early Troy Deeney - lots of hard work and a few goals - better things to come

2 Likes