Key signing for next season?

Given that we seem to be ‘writing off’ this season now and letting contracts run down, I believe that the likes of Perry, Reid, Vincent, Wright and Osei all deserve a decent run in midfield and up top.

My question is where should we try and invest in some proper experience?

Back when we were in League Two under Dicky Dosh, I feel that the spine of the team was strengthened hugely with the arrival in the summer of genuine experience: Clayton Ince, Dobson, Sam and Butler were all key signings in support of younger players like Pead, Fox, Gerrard and Wright coming through.

I would love an experienced goalkeeper but given that Roberts and Rose are both under contract, I would love to see us get a captain in the centre of defence.

Someone like John Mousinho or even an ambitious move for Scott Dann in the summer would instantly strengthen the team, I think.

The money spent on Clarke, Sinclair and Guthrie two seasons ago were all expensive investments that have all proven to be flops. I’ll be glad to see the back of all of them…

Regardless of who we get, I think the middle of defence is a crucial place to start.

I know many fans want Scarr to stay and I agree that League Two is very much a war of attrition at times. Personally though, I think we need to rebuild the team around a player with a football brain and a bit of composure rather than a hoof it merchant with a killer six pack for Instagram photos from Magaluf…

The current status of our centre halves is pretty awful, I feel, so hopefully, it can be addressed in the summer.

What do other people think about where the budget should be spent when some of the current dross have been cleared out?

1 Like

It’s an old cliche but the spine of the team is the important bit, good keeper good centre half good centre midfielder and a goal scorer.
Address this and see what it leaves us budget wise to fill the rest of the positions, all the top managers do this first, look at present we have Roberts, Scarr, Kinsella and Lavery in the spine it could be argued none of them are good enough.

4 Likes

I’d like us too add some height to our midfield 6ft plus DM and CM and a tall target man upfront

2 Likes

An experienced “spine” of 4 players from back to front would be ideal👍

DC did actually start to do this but his “mates” let him down and in hindsight have proved a bit of a disaster. But again we all thought Clarke and Sinclair were great additions at the time!

If we have any money at the end of the season my preference would be to spend it on a CF with some experience at this level together with a CH of similar calibre. Experience and a physical presence would be the key attributes for me.

1 Like

An Andy Rammell clone please :smile:

2 Likes

The key signing for me will be the manager.

4 Likes

Box to box creative midfielder.

2 Likes

Ollie Palmer? Not sure that he’s done anything at Wimbledon this season (injured?) but he always looked the part at Crawley.

Depends what style of play we adopt but I was brought up with a big man, little man strike partnership and I don’t think football has changed that much at League Two level (despite what Clarke bangs on about…still at Port Vale, I notice - so glad to be rid of him, I have to admit!).

Is Lee Frecklington available? :grin:

2 Likes

Key signings? Let’s say BD will stay as head coach. Probably he has some targets in mind, but if he won’t sign 2-3 players capable of changing results (turned few draws to wins and few defeats to draws), it will be a tough season. Rest can be average, but with proper drilling they can be solid base.

Wow mate you’ve started something here where to start erm…2 centre halves and a right back one of the 2 centre halves we have now can act as back up and Melbourne would be fine at left back.Midfield we need some strength and power we are far too lightweight in that area a box to box midfielder would be nice to break play up and get us attacking keep Holden best player we have in my opinion and let’s be honest we need a new striker who can score us 10-15 at least a season.We SHOULD have a decent wage bill if the ones you mentioned are let go because they have been on far too much from what we’ve all read.

2 Likes

Dear Mr L Pomlett…

The next transfer window I would like…

A brute of a centre half and Forward. A Dazzling little winger who isn’t afraid to get stuck in at the back either, and a fierce centre mid who looks like he’s just got out of nick but has the passing ability of Xavi Hernandez.

1 Like

Sam Perry is a 6 footer

2 Likes

If he doesn’t feature under Brian there’s obviously something going on in my opinion why else wouldn’t he get regular game time?

1 Like

Like I’ve said on previous posts Scoob knowing the family I would be amazed if he has been allowed to lose focus he has excellent family support.
He has always stood out at all age groups and there were several of the local big boys trying to get him into their academy .
I was very surprised and delighted when I saw he had turned up at Walsall , and in the only senior game he has played he was outstanding so as you say for him to have not seen any action since is strange .

2 Likes

Ah it was you! I thought someone said they knew the family on here so it must be even more bewildering for you then knowing a bit more than we do?

Bloody hell @Scooby2167 wouldn’t it just be easier to go and support Bournemouth/Luton etc etc :grin: :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: probably mate one of the biggest questions when we are abroad or whatever and the conversation comes up about football teams we support is WHY do you support them? That’s after 5 minutes of explaining we support WALSALL and not WARSAW that joke got boring by the age of 9 at pontins when I got called up on stage one of the nights in the club ■■■■■■■ idiot.

2 Likes

The only players of the current crop I want to see here next season are kinsella, Bates, Holden, Scarr and macdonald. All the rest can go and that includes the loanees of Vincent, Reid, Melbourne etc etc. We need an experienced centre half,aa big battering ram striker and a goalkeeper. Get those in and add to the ones above we’ve got a half decent spine. Dutton. Jury’s out.