Kiernan to Grimsby

Gave us the highlight of last season and will ALWAYS be thankful to him for that magic moment.

3 Likes

Think he would be justified in saying he never really got the opportunities he needed to show what he could do. Not that he was done the dirty or anything just circumstances and now doesnā€™t really fit into the new managers system or plans. You can see from above no-one has a bad word to say about him as a person and heā€™s highly respected and every single one if us wishes him the best. Would always be welcomed back for a visit.

4 Likes

He played 41 games so not sure I would agree he didnā€™t get opportunities ?
Kiernan to me is a winger and Flynn doesnā€™t play with wingers . Having said that I never thought Kiernan was good enough as a player ( top bloke though like others have said )

someone has to be coming in now Brendan has gone

1 Like

Makes the Abraham situation interesting as Flynn has stated that he sees him as a wide player?

1 Like

But I thiink we are all agreed itā€™s a striker or 2 we need ā€¦not a winger

No, itā€™s his mate: Johnny Danson - ex-Shepshed Dynamos. Scoring rate: 2 last week in the Hacienda night club and 1 the week before at the Dog & Duck: grab a granny night! Heā€™ll do!

Average player amazing person
Thought he could have had a part to play here both as a player and as an ambassador to the club
Very good luck to him!

Wouldā€™ve kept him as squad player tbh (at least for first few games).

Heā€™s limited but could chip in with some goals.

Feels very similar to start of last season nowā€¦one senior striker in squad and barely anything off the bench to offer attacking threat in last 20 minutes.

Donā€™t really get the logic of letting attacking players go until actual replacements have been signed.

1 Like

I think he has secured a future when he finishes the game, however he performs on the pitch,
Wish him well

I couldnā€™t agree more. Kiernan isnā€™t a bad player and is one of the few attacking options in the squad. If we donā€™t sign two decent attacking players soon then I will question whether the budget is even top 10 in League. 2.

This summer seems to have been a huge merry go round and Iā€™m not convinced weā€™re tonnes better as we near the end of it.

Are either ā€˜keeper better than Rushworth? Probably not.

Are the new centre backs streets ahead of Leak and Maneyese? One is now injured and the other 40.

Is Allen better than Perry?

Is James Taylor better than Miller?

Is Flynn Clarke better than Osedebe?

The only real upgrades I see are Bennett and Hutchison and maybe Riley for a mixture of Ward, Shade and the injured Labadie.

Iā€™m just not sensing that weā€™re eight to ten places better just now. Having four out until Christmas is a kick in the teeth. Until then, maybe itā€™s a case of establishing ourselves in upper mid table before they all come back and for once give us a stronger side in the second half of the season.

4 Likes

Agree totally, can only hope for at least one incoming tomorrow.

1 Like

Difficult to call based on the two friendlies Iā€™ve seen so far, but I do share your concerns. I think we will be able to make a more informed decision in a few weeks from now.

1 Like

Sad to see him go . 6 goals in 41 matches from the wing not too bad. I hope we have a more than adequate replacement lined up. At least 2 forward players needed now . I agree with PT about this squad . It certainly does not look stronger than last season and in some respects weaker. Certainly up front and in goal. Key positions in any team.

2 Likes

agree mate we are not massively improved so far from what i have seen.

1 Like

No, the squad is not discernibly better than this time last season, n fact it looks worse as Wilkinson is injured. I would argue that we under-achieved last season - we should have been between 10th and 13th. I think realistically that is the best we can hope for this season - we will really struggle to score enough goals.

Some of the signings have been pretty inexplicable: what was the point of signing James-Taylor? Itā€™s pretty obvious that heā€™s not ready (good enough?) for menā€™s football. It looks like the waste of a loan. Fullarton got a lot of stick last season but the signings this year are no better. The common denominator is the budget - lower League 2 I would suggest. Things ainā€™t going to get any better until that stat improves.

2 Likes

Thanks for a fantastic night at the fail,

All the best :call_me_hand:

14 Likes

Reaching the League 2 play-offs last year meant winning about half of your games and losing a maximum of 12-14. Not confident we can achieve that at this point, but would like to think we can better it, if suitable strikers arrive. May be another ā€˜transitionalā€™ season in the offing.

1 Like

If we can get a decent forward now and hold our heads above water (half way or so) until Christmas when the injured players return, I believe weā€™ll be a force to reckon with.

2 Likes