Kins the next departure?

Hmm I’m yet too see him play the long cross field passes Dobson can for example.

Can’t deny he’s slower than Kinsella, but that’s what I mean. They do different jobs/have different abilities.

Bit unfair to say that about Dobson though. He was easily our best midfielder before that goal and was outstanding in our early run this season, both in and out of possession. He’s had a few rough weeks but saying people only rate him for one goal isn’t fair.

1 Like

I said he’s overrated because of it, not that it’s the only reason he’s rated. He’s a good player but no better than this league as it stands. He’s dropped a lot from the start of the season, especially after the 4tn booking.

Kinsella made a few decent cross-field balls on Tuesday night but he needs to keep it up.

Kinsella is clearly a slow developer but now coming on at a great rate , give him another two years and a little more muscle and he will be a top player.

And I was one of those that didn’t rate him… clearly I was wrong.

3 Likes

Well no he’s not any higher than this league yet. I don’t think there’s anyone in this team that is. I never claimed that he is. But my point is maybe those people don’t “overrate him” (in your eyes) simply because of that goal but more that he’s put in some excellent performances outside of that game this season and last and has hit a bit of a slump now.

I’m glad to hear it. It’s not something I’ve seen from him before but he’s young and those are the type of things he needs to and can add to his game.

Kins is a funny one. Looked decent when he first came into the team (as a right back) in 2014 and then hardly played for next two years. Then the infamous Bradford away game put to bed any hope of him being a good RB at this level so off to midfield he went.

I think the lack of games stalled his development a fair bit and he looked pretty lightweight over the last year when played in CM.

Seems to be doing well this season so no issue with him staying. Actually surprised his contract is up in next six months as pretty sure he signed a new deal right at the end of Whitney’s tenure so surprised he only got a 1 year extension.

Having Deano as his manager must be a massive boost, cut of the same mold.

2 Likes

Definitely. He seems to be developing into the same type of player too.

1 Like

Kinsella has always had the potential to be first choice either at full back or CM, it’s just that his opportunities were limited due to the quality of player in front of him. Especially in the full back areas, where he had Demetriou and then McCarthy to compete with. I never imagined him playing in CM, but it’s clear that he has the qualities to make that position his own.

On the Dobson debate, I’d have him slightly ahead on Kinsella, due to that he’s proven he can perform at a consistently high level over a large number of games. Not just at the start of this season, but the back end of last season he was playing against teams on his own and matched the levels of anyone else on the pitch, and that’s for both sides.

There’s no doubt though that they are our best pairing. Osbourne was excellent according to reports on Tuesday, but he only tends to have one good game in 5. It seems as though when Dobson is paired with Kinsella, he doesn’t worry about the inefficiencies of his partner and plays his own game. When he’s alongside Osbourne or Ronan, he’s spending too much time covering for them and having less of an impact on the game.

9 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

For me both Dobson and Kinsella are better at different things but compliment each other brilliantly. Disagree about Kinsella having a better passing range. Got to do it consistently before I can agree to that.

Dobson still edges it for me but Kinsella is by far my Player Of The Season. I believe Kinsella has the potential to be better than Dobson but let’s not kid ourselves here, they are both still very young. It’s genuinely exciting.

3 Likes

Good passing range is a plus for any midfielder but what Kinsella provides is extra energy in winning the ball, restricting the space and time opposition midfielders have, doing the simple, neat things.

As an example, we really missed Kinsella against Burton. They dictated the game from midfield because we barely laid a punch. With Kins in that line up we’d have been a lot more competitive, especially as he halves Dobson’s workload.

3 Likes

I’d like to see Kinsella, Dobson and Edwards when he’s back fully fit in a midfield 3

All very hardworking players but have their own qualities

Very workmanlike, similar to Liverpools midfield that has been so successful and will give license to the front 3 to be creative

2 Likes

I’d love to see the 3 of them play but think we’re best playing 4-4-2. In games against better opposition I’d certainly opt for those 3 though.

1 Like

I think protecting the full-backs is still a priority (because of the way we play, not because I think they’re rubbish), which makes it difficult to play three in the middle unless we play with a lone striker.

1 Like

To be fair I really liked the 4-3-3 against Sunderland with Osbourne Kinsella and Dobson but without Dobson in it against Cov we never got a foot hold in the game. It only really changed when Keates changed the shape just before half time.

I think with Kinsella Dobson and Edwards/Osbourne it works but without either of Kinsella or Dobson we concede possession way too easily.

1 Like

I think when we’re having spells without the ball with these players that becomes easier as you can have Kinsella and Edwards shifting out either side to cover the wide areas as they have both had spells at full back so this will be a natural transition

1 Like

Because Keates sets us up with a narrow back four, we tend to leave more space on the flanks and depend on the wingers to cover those areas when we’re in a defensive phase. Far more difficult to get away with playing 4-3-3.

Hmm but that should easily be covered when you have Dobson and Kinsella in midfield plus one other, as well as Godon/Ginnelly and Ferrier/Zeli out wide. the 4-3-3 looks more like a 4-5-1 without the ball and that work load is covered.

It didn’t work against Cov because Martin and Osbourne were way too immobile in midfield and that work load wasn’t covered. Like I said, without Dobson and Kinsella in it it doesn’t work but I personally prefer it to 4-4-2 (with the right personnel). 4-4-2 was starting to look very one dimensional in an attacking sense from the Blackpool game on wards.

1 Like

I think that’s highly dependent on who’s filling the ‘outside forward’ roles though, because they have to work really hard in both phases if the formation is going to work. Gordon and Ginnelly maybe, but I’m not sure Ferrier or Zeli have the desired determination once the ball is lost.

1 Like

I agree with you to be fair. That’s why I like Gordon. Maybe not the most potent attacker I’ve ever seen but the effort and work rate is outstanding.

4 Likes