L 1-0 vs Carlisle United (A) - League Two - Sat 27th Nov, 3pm

I was there with my girlfriend (now wife) who remembers it and we didn’t meet until about January 1981.

If we are both wrong that would be a worry, but our memories aren’t necessarily so good these days, so who knows?

1 Like

I’m quite sure the game Beardsley scored was a 2-1 defeat the game after we’d hammered top of the league Swindon 5-0 on a glorious Tuesday night in 81. Crowd 6010, amazing goals from Mark Rees and a couple from an ageing Buck. 2-0 up at half time attacking the Street end (ie the wrong way) then we scored 3 in about 10 minutes t’other end in the second half. Then we typically went to mid-table Carlisle and lost.

It was a ridiculously harsh winter, we were top in Jan after a 3-0 win over Brentford and ended up avoiding relegation on goal difference when Swindon lost to Newport after we’d finished our games, and Carlisle got promoted!

2 Likes

I’ll be heading in there pre match with my Carlisle supporting mate who I’m staying with for the weekend. Apparently we’re trying the Linton tavern first so I’m taking my big plate and ordering 3 ladyboys!!!

Off out into town for some food and a few drinks after the game. As others have said, it’s quite a good night out in Carlisle!

1 Like

What’s the weather like up there Jolly? Any reports from your Carlisle supporting mucka? I’m guessing that someone with half a brain cell would call this off in the next hour if there’s a chance it might not go ahead.

Just setting off ,

It looks ok

Not left Liverpool yet mate but will be in next 20 mins or so. Very windy here and same all the way up the northwest it seems but hopefully be okay.

See photos of snow at my mum’s and my brother’s in Brum but don’t think any is forecast for the northwest.

1 Like

Best of luck to the hardy souls making the trip today.
Got snow settling in Hinckley. Wrap up warm, kids!!

Gonna give it another hour and see if the cars clear it a little. Just had a wonder out and there’s no chance of getting off my estate at the minute.

Difficulty for us has been getting out of Walsall via essington, due to the usual combination of snow/sleet and moronic drivers overtaking stranded vehicles and getting stuck themselves.
Motorway is fine at present.

It’s just took me an hour to get to Dudley Fields from pelsall grid locked round by mouse hill and slow moving traffic coming up to rushall lights from pelsall way.Stopped snowing now though and looks like main roads have not been gritted

2 Likes

Very windy still just south of Kendal but eased since last night. no snow. Had no power since 7pm last night in cottage we are staying in and a lot of ongoing cuts in the area. Hopefully not at brunton Park

1 Like

Anyone going up to Carlisle today in this weather must be absolutely crazy.

I’m just leaving now :laughing:

10 Likes

One thing I would like to see today (apart from the motorway) is Khan come on rather than Shade if he doesn’t start.

Shade was our only poor performance on Tuesday and Khan must have been sat on the bench thinking what have I got to do. He was our only bright spot the week before and Shade gave the ball away multiple times and almost cost us with a header in our own box straight to their man on the edge of the area despite only playing about half an hour.

2 Likes

When I can’t get to games I often get feelings of either disappointment or even guilt. Maybe it is because I am getting older but I am quite happy to be looking out the window at the snow with the heating on and catch up with the scores online today.

Safe journey to all those going, bring back the 3 points with you.

2 Likes

Averaging about 670. Not too bad given the footballing outposts we have to visit pretty much every week.

1 Like

I think it was the game that i was sitting in the stand, and Collin Gibson was sitting by me, and when they scored the second a lad that was on our coach, took a wrap of whiz and invaded the pitch :joy:

Looks like a lot of the trains going to Carlisle are cancelled through the day, and lots of weather disruption on the roads too

I’ve been really impressed by Khan but I think Shade’s tracking back has been outstanding too. He made a goal saving block against Rochdale last week in our own 6 yard area. Khan gives us more impact going the other way though.

Trying to fathom if the weather may be better in Carlisle than it is here in Cheshire…we have had it bad overnight, howling gales the like of which we have not seen for a while, plenty of damage caused. Should it go ahead in such wind it may be a bit of a farce…we shall see what the ref decides.