L 3-0 vs Worksop Town (A), Tue 3rd Aug, 7:30pm

What Jimmy sent me

2 Likes

Does nothing for confidence but is a good life experience

1 Like

Appears we couldn’t be arsed to wear a proper kit and played in training kit

When I was a kid all reserve football was senior football. Initially, when I started watching Walsall ressies were in the West Midlands League. Its time to get back to reserve team football, this age group thing isn’t helping anyone, neither the players nor the clubs, its a waste of time.

2 Likes

I raised the subject of reserve teams with the club before the pandemic, and they allegedly took it on board and joined a reserve league of sorts, but if memory serves, some of the games never got played. Then last season, they just resorted to playing youth team games because of the covid bubble requirements. I haven’t got a clue what’s happening this season, but I doubt we’d have a big enough squad to service 2 teams!

I believe that pic was tweeted 3hrs before kick off as part of Bax played for both teams, so not actually our kit or team infact.

1 Like

Looking closely, you’re right. Looks similar to our training kit doesn’t it? :joy:

1 Like

Went last night as it’s literally 20 minutes away and in the hope that one or two of the first team would play.
Quite a strange entrance as the turnstiles are indoors with the doors to the bar straight in front of you after paying your £9. Didn’t expect to see people on the terraces with their pints either but this is normal at this level!
We played in our home kit with Worksop Town in bright yellow, apparently a new kit from their normal yellow/black stripes. The artificial playing surface was excellent.
Not sure if much can be taken as the team was essentially very young but Matthew Taylor and Miguel Llera were in the dugout and Neil McDonald behind them in the covered terrace near to where I was standing. The triallists were all very young so I don’t think any were possible first team prospects. Tom Leak was captain and Taylor was constantly shouting at him to get the back four organised.
The match kicked off and for 10 mins we were equal to them and scored a well worked goal which was ruled out for offside. We had a second effort cleared off the line and then things started getting tough. Our number 9 (apologies not sure who he was) was clear through on goal, got hacked down and despite it being a friendly not even a booking when it would have been red in a normal game. Sam Perry was fouled and whilst still down had the ball smashed against him and the game resembled an ice hockey game at times with the challenges going in and there were at least three times where 10 or more of the players were in confrontation.
Alfie Bates was our best player and grew into the game playing deeper in the second half and he and Sam Perry both had 90 minutes. I thought Simcox at left back had a very good first half particularly going forward.
I asked Neil McDonald at the end of the game if it had been worthwhile and he said it was a good learning experience for the younger lads playing against a very physical side. A Worksop supporter said to him our number 8 (Bates) played well and he replied “yes but I’ve seen him play better”.
Worksop Town were a well organised, physical team and Baxendale played for the whole game. Given the league they are in I was surprised at the standard they played at and I presume the extreme physical side was part of their plan to frighten our younger players who stood up to it quite well.

9 Likes

I find that outburst a bit embarrassing by Walker to be honest.

1 Like

Thanks for that report. I think the trialists are being looked at to join the Academy. My grandson knows someone from Lichfield who is on trial with us who has been told he needs to be more physical in his play. He is 17 and I guess all these matches against adults are to test the youngsters.It is a tough world.

1 Like

Great report. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Bit soft from Jimmy I played against men when I was 14 and being talented back then got the shit kicked out of me didnt bother me still did it again.