Leigh Pomlett: We need 5,000 Walsall fans at Banks's

Loads of clubs do things like this on a regular and occasional basis, Northampton had a dj with outside food and drink for our visit, here’s one from Accrington FanZone for Tonight - News - Accrington Stanley who did it several times last season. Sunderland have a similar thing going at the Colliers Tav, the list goes on and on. The crazy thing at our place as you say, is that there is literally nothing else there to satisfy obvious demand, so it should be a risk free enterprise.

2 Likes

I don’t think a club of our size, at our level can afford to have a bad match day experience for its supporters. We’re just up the road from 4 huge clubs, they will happily take our business.
We have to do everything possible to increase and maintain our fanbase.
Hire more staff on match days, provide more incentives to supporters as an appreciation for their loyalty, re-open the Saddlers club, currently it’s just an unused building not generating any income for the club.
There are so many simple things the club can do that would make a big difference on match days, some of these things will take time and money.
I think the vast majority of fans have been more than tolerant over the last few years, we’re not asking for the world, just improvement - on and off the pitch. If the club can provide that, the fans will do their part.

1 Like

Yes it seems obvious to re-open the Saddlers club , would have thought it would need some sort of face lift nothing drastic just make it decent clean and tidy .
How about asking for volunteers to supplement any professional services for the work , offer free match day tickets or even season tickets if their amount of work warrants it .
It would obviously need to be used other than match days , make it the base for the youth set up there’s lots of parents , grand parents , and kids there most nights .
Also if it’s tidy enough let it out for private functions etc .
Could it be run by a amalgamation of the various fan groups under the Football clubs umbrella regards accounts ect.
It would also take pressure off the bars inside the ground which obviously can’t cope even with the numbers who attend at the moment .
Always thought when it was run by the previous group it never seemed as welcoming as it should have been for a football club.
Make it somewhere that enhances the experience of supporting Walsall FC.

2 Likes

Apparently the roof is an uneconomical repair. Pity we havn’t got someone on the board that is a big-wig in the construction industry, and could pull a few strings, and make a contribution to the club of which he is a director by getting it fixed up. Nah we’ve just got that useless freeloader Peter Gilman.

1 Like

Oh right , didn’t know that but surely it’s only un economical if you are paying industry rates ,as you rightly say surely there must be people in and around the club who could get it sorted .

Do we know who owns the land? Is it part of the ground freehold?

Christ

The absolute as I see it down right cheek of it we all turned up after you took over you screwed peoples joy and excitement over this squads terrible I ain’t paying to watch it’s crap style of play if we actually have a style of play I’d rather watch Sunday morning football at least they can pass a ball and have spells of possession you ain’t gonna get 5000 crowds until we are top 5 which from what I’ve seen is years away

Are the fans representatives still pressing the disappointment of the match day experience at the meetings they have with the club,if so,they don’t seem to be taking much notice.

I must admit i was buoyed up with the (supposed)takeover, and i went to the first 4-5 games, but i am spending the best part of £60 for me and my wife, and quite frankly if i was spending that sort of money on watching say a show or something, then i would be wanting my money back, in my opinion i kept my part of the bargain so all i wanted was for LP to keep his, it would be easier if we were being entertained, but we are not? for me nothing has changed other than the football is poor and the whole matchday experience is poor, as other posters have said, get them right and we will surpass the 5000 we need.

2 Likes

It reeks of the same sense of entitlement we got from Bonser. " We don’t have to justify ourselves. You should be loyal enough to attend regardless of what we offer." The same failure to understand that people now have competing attractions for their time and money, and don’t have any reason to treat an afternoon at Bescot any differently to those. Perhaps not that surprising when Bonser’s two main henchmen are still in post.

Maybe he didn’t mean that, but if not he needs to clarify.

2 Likes

Exactly :+1:

Pomlett said his popularity would not last long but I doubt even he thought it would turn so quickly. All he said was that 5,000 gates would make a difference to the club financially. Thats common sense to me. As for the performances they are down to the Manager and players not the Chairman.As I commented earlier if they carry on like this attendances will go down rather than up and rightly so . We must therefore hope for some improvement starting Saturday so I hope Clarke and the players can get it together. I see Roberts(Kory) and Pring played for the reserves today and Hardy scored a good goal. Food for thought.

I’m not having a go, but the Chairman is responsible for the budget, he decides how much the manager can spend.
Based on our performances so far… it must have been a pittance!

You would have thought in order to persuade Darryl Clarke to become our manager he would have wanted a very competitive budget so he could have crack at promotion … Could it be. (and I hope so) that Clarke is holding back a big chunk of the budget for a January transfer extravaganza. :tada: :tada: :balloon: :balloon: :sparkler: :sparkler: :joy:

1 Like

I think Clarke has already said as much - as far back as August.

1 Like

I think it’s an embarrassing press release by Pomlett. He is seriously expecting 5000 home fans watching that crap week in week out. He’s in dreamland. Don’t care if I’m called a troll but things have not get better under his tenure. They have got considerably worse. A trend I fully expect to continue.

The beer supply is always going to be a problem with the ground sponsors. However it always amazes how rubbish the beer is considering some of the fine beers Marstons produce even in a bottle.It would be great if we could have a fan zone with local food and drink suppliers before matches

4 Likes

I criticised the budget and I’m classed as a troll !!! Yeah when u have the manager coming out and saying it’s one third of Salford’s it certainly dosnt look like we’re the big spenders does it !!!

Some people just see things coming before others can when I was saying things weeks ago I got laughed at I even said I’d have Chris Porter upfront and that he’d score more than our forwards and got critiques but guess what…yes that’s right he scored 2 goals again the weekend and he’s one of the main reasons they are near the top.

1 Like