Liam Roberts - Good enough?

The first goal yesterday is very interesting. In real time you think it a fantastic finish because of the tight angle. To do a ‘keeper at full stretch from such an acute angle must take some doing right?

You look at the below though and at the moment the ball passes him, Roberts is still setting himself and actually dives well after the ball is beyond him.

A pathetic attempt. He couldn’t stop a paper bag this lad. Look at where their player has shot from, no way should he score from that angle, not without hitting a worldy.

Looked like the player that first broke through last night. The one shining light.

I don’t get how people can say there isn’t a player there. The problem seems pretty clear to me that the coaching staff are failing to develop it. He was outstanding last season, and can make saves like he did last night. There’s raw quality there but I have no confidence in us honing it.

Can see him declining and ending up in non league football. Unless he gets a move like Mac, another player we never gave the chance to develop and look at him now.

Agreed. There’s always been a player in there as last season showed and hopefully he’ll turn in more games like last night. Would have been 3 or 4 without him.

I’d be looking to move if I were him - same if I were Kinsella.

A word on Gillespie too, another keeper who looked sub standard here:

Plays every week for a mid table SPL side at the moment. 3 clean sheets in his last 4 as well.

Got to question the coaching at the club.

Roberts was certainly good enough last night. I wish he had played like that over the past few months.

It can be acceptable for wingers and forwards to be inconsistent; if they produce enough match winning goals and assists over a season you can forgive them their quiet games. Goalkeepers however have to be consistent, and turn in good performances nearly every week, or they will cost their team goals and points.

He was consistent when he broke through, that’s what I’m saying. He’s regressed as a player quite clearly over the last few months. The only possible reason that can be is A) Coaching and B) a lack of confidence in his defence.