Liam Roberts signs new deal

Hopefully the contract gives him a bit more stability and confidence… He can now knuckle down and concentrate on improving and being the best he can possibly be. We’ll done Liam.

I can only think either the club can see something in him or he is seen as a desent back up to rose as a cheap option? i must admit i think his career went backwards under our last goalkeeper coach, because i was there on the day he made his debut and thought he was destined to play at a higher level, hopefully he can re discover his previous form.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ some of the stuff I’m reading on here!!

Did people miss the thumble on Saturday which lead to him scrambling around the box like a fool, or his poor kicking and distribution? have we also forgotten that only two weeks ago he was dropped! Yes dropped from a team sitting almost bottom of league 2 :joy:

We should be out scouting for better.

3 Likes

Because he is the only keeper to drop clanger in the history of football

1 Like

What literally most games, he’s a liability.

3 Likes

I hope players don’t read fans forums, but if yes, that’s good decision. He has that rare ability to make at least one above average save in every game. That’s something good. Of course I hope he will improve, but for now, he can be very solid keeper for League One, or Two. So extending his contract was good decision to make. Errors in games? Totally unacceptable, cuz he is the only player making them, right.

1 Like

Mistake IMO.

Makes too many mistakes, will never be part of a promotion winning team.

2 Likes

Oh so that make it ok then.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure hes had the most man of the matches this season

1 Like

Till January no new keeper can be signed, but in January, well, midfielder who can construct some offensive play, or maybe defender, who can organise that lot around him are probably more pressing issues. Goalie? I don’t see it as a problem.

Ye sorry I’m wrong , great keeper.

If he was the finished article and didnt drop the odd clanger, and his distribution was on point.

Do we really think he would be playing for walsall ?

They always give it the keeper if all 11 play rubbish :grinning:

If that’s the case he should have had at least 12 man of the match awards this season

1 Like

Christ how pathetic. Alright, great deal for the club, he’s destined to be the next Buffon. Better?

1 Like

Have you noticed all them great goalkeepers we had that have been mentioned all had something in common ???
A very good defence in front of them, this lad as had to play with some of the worst defenders to play for us in our history and being relatively inexperienced during many of them games I suppose it was inevitable mistakes would be made, obviously our goal keeping coach who was an international and had a pretty decent club career has seen something worth working with or they’d have let his contract run out and moved him on.

2 Likes

Interesting news. I’ve previous bigged up Robbo but no doubt he’s really struggled last six months. Started season fine but as the defence disintegrated infront of him the misjudgements from corners started again and cost goals.

It’s only an extra year so guess DC wants more time to judge. Now the bigger news, will the club finally learn a lesson and get in an experienced keeper in January. I can see Rose going back to Southampton so will need someone else in as competition.

Let’s be honest, better keepers than him won’t arrive. Money or league status are two important factors. I’ve read countless times, none are here. So what left? New player, who can develop and say bye, when he’ll go elsewhere, or someone more local, who has some more positive thoughts about the club. I’m surprised he won place in the team, because pre-season Jack Rose looked certain to be first keeper. But he’s not, so Roberts is not that bad.

Him signing the deal is good news. He will improve as the team will.

:thinking: Hasn’t he got the most MOTMs?

I mean, he wasn’t very good last season but this is pretty unfair.