Longest Time Since Promoted

Are we the most boring club in football history ?

No, but very strong case for being the most underacheiving.

No one was complaining, just sharing a fact seen online. :man_shrugging:

Won there in 1974, The Buck scored the only goal of the game.

A very fine reply, thank you. A lot of the teams in the Birmingham League with us were the reserve teams from some of the bigger local teams, so they wouldn’t have been eligible to step up. We’d finished fifth but did get quite decent crowds, I think, which was presumably a big point in our favour.

1 Like

We applied to join the FL on its formation in 1888 (the year we were formed by the merger of Town and Swifts) but were blacked by the Villa chairman who was the prime mover in forming the league.

1 Like

It’s an interesting stat that people might not be aware of. Looking at it positively we have an outside chance of breaking that run this season.

There are plenty of over the top doom mongers on here, but there’s also a section of posters who overeact to anything mildly negative, often belittling other posters in the process.

4 Likes

Who wasn’t aware that we haven’t been promoted since 2006/07?

And have only been relegated once since then. :wink:

1 Like

I was the only one at Grove Lane Primary in Handsworth who supported the Saddlers :grinning:

I follow Oldhamgroundhopper who posted this originally. Bit mad given the number of grounds he goes to, but posts some interesting stuff.

1 Like

It is possible for the same team to be the longest since promotion and the longest since relegation. We might even have been that once in the 60s and 70s.

My nan wasnt aware of it, but then again she still tries to give cheques to the cashier at the one stop

2 Likes

And Sir Ray Graydon did it twice in 3 seasons, no wonder he is so highly thought of. Amazing achievement.

I know Bill Moore did back to back promotions, before my time though.

Sadler next, up we go!

1 Like

That’s not quite the stat this thread is about though is it? But i think you already know that and are being deliberately obtuse, so let’s leave it there.

3 Likes

I’d have thought that kind of Stat was right up your street ? No ambition. Happy with mediocrity.

I also went to primary school in Handsworth, was the only Walsall fan there too :smile:

I went to Joesph Leckie School the closest school to the ground and you could count on one hand the other Walsall supporters.

1 Like

1957-63 so I daresay before your time I would think. Whereabouts did you live? I went upmarket aged 12 when we moved to Handsworth Wood (used to get the train from Great Barr to go to some games at FP by myself) before leaving B’ham in 1967.

can’t think of anyone else supporting the saddlers at my primary school but the difference between me and all my football “supporting” mates was that I actually went to football matches. Same when I attended secondary school. Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Leeds, Liverpool supporters but none of them actually went to a game. There were loads of Wolves supporters who took the piss but I wasn’t alone and there were at least 5 Walsall supporters, including a certain Michael Hayes. I do remember there was one Blues fan. Now that seemed very odd at the time in a school in Walsall. The ambition in the 1960’s/70’s was for the club to get back into the second division. It wasn’t seen as being an unrealistic aim but a lot of supporters became disillusioned as the seasons went by and it didn’t happen. When we did finally get there it was a huge disappointment and a very sad time in the clubs history.

1 Like

02-06 went to Rookery, live in Oldbury.

1 Like