Manny Monthé: Club Statement

Emmanuel Monthe has been suspended for Walsall FC’s next seven matches, fined £1,200 and ordered to complete a mandatory education programme for a breach of FA Rule E3.2 that occurred while he was playing for Tranmere Rovers FC in an EFL League Two match against Forest Green Rovers FC on Saturday 1 May 2021.

The FA charged the defender for allegedly using abusive and/or insulting words towards a Forest Green Rovers FC player in the ninth minute of this match, which is contrary to FA Rule E3.1, and also alleged that this constitutes an “aggravated breach”, as defined in FA Rule E3.2, because it included a reference to sexual orientation.

Emmanuel Monthe denied the charge but an independent Regulatory Commission found it to be proven and imposed these sanctions during a subsequent hearing. The written reasons for these decisions will be published in due course.

1 Like

Oh dear oh dear … no wonder he was missing on Saturday!

1 Like

Personally I’d have to hear a statement from the player, showing genuine regret and remorse (and not just a “sorry to those who feel offended” cookie cutter) before I feel comfortable seeing him in a Walsall shirt again.

2 Likes

I thought that straight away:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Bob on

1 Like

Proven guilty , we’re having to pay his wages whilst he sits 7 matches out for being a homophonic twonk. Sack him off now as a club players like this should have nothing to do with our team.

1 Like

Can only assume the club didn’t know about this ongoing issue before they signed him

Finish a blokes career with a bad tackle and you get a 3 game ban. Use inappropriate language and you get a 7 game ban and a hefty fine. Something wrong here in my view.

13 Likes

When two players take to a field, they know it’s a game of sport and a rash tackle in the heat of the moment could potentially do damage.

Sportsmen do not take to the field to be subjected to vile abuse based on their lifestyle, background or beliefs.

19 Likes

Basically what I was about to say.

It’s about intent.

You can go for a challenge and be reckless catching someone even though you were trying to get the ball so whilst it’s serious it’s unintentional.

Whereas if you’re arguing with someone and call them something racist or homophobic it’s not an accident.

1 Like

I am not defending what he did just comparing the sentence.When I was a lad and bullied at school I was told just get on with your life.You are better than him. I was and am. Sometimes you just have to rise above such things and get on with life.

3 Likes

Counter argument to that is should an individual be subjected to abusive comments at their place of work? Which he was.

3 Likes

But we don’t know what prompted Monthe to say what he said do we? If these rules had been in place in earlier decades some of our heroes would hardly have had careers.Verbals have always gone on in football as well as physical challenges.

1 Like

Can’t believe you’re defending this. :roll_eyes:

Don’t think anything excuses being homophobic.

And it may have been seen as acceptable in the past but it isn’t the 70’s anymore. :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

No of course not but the sentence should fit the crime. I think this over the top. Others disagree which is fine.

1 Like

Christ what a ridiculous take.

2 Likes

I am not defending the comment but feel the sentence is too severe.

Yep. Lose your job in most work places for that.

I agree. The fact that it happened in the 9th minute makes it more likely that it was premeditated.

3 Likes

Beg to differ.

2 Likes