Marcus Stewart MND

Very sad.
I remember reading that in some instances the onset on this dreadful disease can be exacerbated by intense physical activity.
The ex rugby league player Rob Burrows has it, along with ex union player Dodie Weir and there was a feature last week on a midlands rugby player who has it too.
Maybe the wealthier teams in world sport should get more involved in funding research into this disease as sportsmen seem more likely to be afflicted it.

1 Like

It’s more the case that it’s getting more public exposure.

My father in law passed away with it almost 15 years ago and as a family we saw it turn a healthy grown man into someone you would never physically recognise within 18 months and passaway. Such a horrible uncurable disease.

Back then it wasn’t known at all and it’s now getting the exposure and extra funding needed to go towards the research to try and find a cure.

Really understand what MS and his family are up against now he’s been diagnosed. Sad times.

5 Likes

They say it tends to be more common in people who are physically fit all their lives, its a really strange disease, and seems to be affecting people younger and younger or maybe thats as you say exposure. Fernando Ricksen, Marcus Stewart both very young.

Terrible disease as with any to do with the brain but it’s about as horrible diagnosis you can get.

I wish him well.

I’m sorry to hear of your loss.

1 Like

Terrible news re the MND diagnosis . My partner regularly plays Golf with him and says he is a total gentleman . I believe there will be a golf fundraiser for MND the end of next month ,details on Marcus’s Social Media .

Here’s the latest on Marcus’s fight:

3 Likes

Really sad to hear that. Horrific condition to have. Seeing what Rob Burrow has gone through is truly heartbreaking.

Can only wish him all the best and would be nice if the club could maybe raise money for MND in future.

Just a reel but there’s a feature on BBC Breakfast about it on Monday morning

4 Likes

My heart bleeds for them and for anyone suffering this or any other debilitating degenerative illness. Why oh why is it always the nice guys and gals?? :disappointed_relieved::cry:

8 Likes

I knew a chap from our local club, mid 50’s, really quiet, couple of pints a week type of guy. Only really came down for the monthly quiz. Really clever bloke, couple of degrees, learnt things for fun.

Woke up one morning and “went a bit like a jelly”. Started happening more and more regular. Had his diagnosis. Within 4 or 5months he was wheel-chair bound and could barely speak.

Lasted about 18 months at most. His partner brought him down every month for his “quiz fix”. Bloody horrible to see someone you really liked and enjoyed their company over the years, sipping pop through a straw and sat there “trapped in”.

R.I.P Mark mate

5 Likes

Edit - realise I commented on this before and am repeating myself

It’s horrible. My grandad died from it within 3 months of diagnosis. Went from an old but still powerful bloke to dead in 3 months. Tends to affect people and they don’t know why who have generally always been well and healthy. So I remember reading at the time nearly 20 years ago now, will have moved on with research and treatment i dare say.

2 Likes

Awful disease. Father in law fortunately died from pneumonia just before he became unable to swallow or breathe unaided. A full on Catholic who wouldn’t have gone for it, but an absolute advert for assisted death.

3 Likes

So sorry for what you all must have witnessed and gone through and totally get and respect what you are saying. I, personally, think it, assisted death, should be allowed under very certain circumstances or specific situations.

5 Likes

Happy for the poor old boy that he died quickly while still having a poor death rather than dying abysmally tbh. Only sad thing as far as I was concerned was that he died too quickly for my wife to say goodbye.

Appreciate the sentiment. An awful disease