Marcus Stewart

I’m more bothered about our strikers not being in the positions they need to be to finish off chances in the first place. They ALL do their best work outside of the box. I know Cook hasn’t had the best of seasons but that ability is sorely missing from these strikers and he displayed it in spades last season. Watch any of those performances and compare it to any of our current crop and it’s so obvious. Yes it doesn’t add much to the all round play. Yes it’s not going to mean worldies from miles out. But it’s effective.

To me that’s a tactical issue rather than a coaching issue. It’s been obvious since the first game of the season that these strikers don’t operate in danger areas and it still looks the same.

Fair point but both were only ever academy/u23’s, a large majority of these players drop into non league over time.

Only a small number actually go on to achieve first team football. I am guessing both had good physical attributes which got them the move , but over time lacked quality to make any impression.

I can’t help but think if the team was settled in a formation, they line up was fairly settled and not tinkered with we could properly see whether the strikers were good enough. Currently with all the changes and tweaking it’s hard to build any forward momentum and our defence is getting weaker game on game as well due to this with individual errors coming back big style.

We could have Batistuta, Van Basten and Pele as coaches and they’d not get a goal out our forwards.

1 Like

Was interesting hearing from someone who was at the ‘other’ end at the Oldham debacle, who mentioned that knowing how bad Oldham had been, they were in hysterics at our utterly feeble attacks (or lack of same).
Something is wrong with the coaching at our club, no one in a red shirt appears to know what to do once they (rarely) get over the half way line. Tuesday was truly embarrassing for us all, and I am therefore glad I cannot attend Saturdays mauling.
DC and Stewart obviously haven’t got a clue, it must be as desperate being a Walsall first teamer as it is for us to watch the drivel being displayed.