Mat Sadler

So if we signed Ronaldo, you wouldn’t regard that as a good signing until you’d seen him play for us. Right…ok…:face_with_monocle:

I just wasn’t impressed the first time :man_shrugging: hope he comes back a better player

Obviously, because I have watched him play a lot. See how that works?

I’m not sure that as soon as you reach the big 3-0 you automatically join the waiting list for a Zimmer frame! Linford Christie won more gold medals after he reached that age than he did when he was younger.

I’m not saying MS will be quicker now than he was, but age also brings maturity so even if your legs aren’t what they used to be you can still have more of an effect on the game if you’ve learned how to read it better - Derek Statham and Steve Staunton when they came to us past the age of 30 spring to mind as 2 obvious examples.

Plus you can also help the development of the younger players you’re playing next to - giving them the benefit of your experience and making them better players.

Or are you just a big fan of Logan’s Run and think everyone ought to be put down when they hit 30?

1 Like

I just think a player I saw 8 years ago and thought was average isn’t getting me excited that we have brought him back now with loads of miles on the clock.

I mean people keep saying oh experience. Franz Beckenbauer has experience but I wouldn’t want him starting the first game of the season.

I hope he’s the amazing player Geordie promises , I really do :man_shrugging: I didn’t realise we had to be positive about every signing.

According to El Nombre, he isn’t over 30, he’s one. Only the year he watched him play counts.

1 Like

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: Nah you are right, every player always plays to the exact record and reputation he has preceding him and judging him based on what you have seen is never a good measure. ■■■■ me, sorry I dissed your BF.

People ask for experience and we sign someone with shed loads of it and it’s still not enough. Can’t please everyone eh?

Captain for Shrewsbury when they got to Wembley twice two seasons ago. I’m happy enough with it, time will tell if that is an error in judgement.

Also when he last played for us he was signed as a LB and I’m pretty sure he played the vast majority of his games there. He’s now converted to CB so I’ll judge him on that and his most recent seasons, rather than a season 8 years ago in a different position entirely.

1 Like

not an exciting signing, as el-nombre says. Although its not a bad signing. Can see where he fits in. I’d like another CB to push the current back 3 for their place. Especially as we have no real back-up until Kory comes back.

Whenever he lined up for Shrewsbury against us, I always thought he’d be the weak link in their back line. It never proved to be the case though as he’d usually always have a good game.

I thought he was excellent during his first spell. Andy Taylor was signed as his replacement and I’m sure half way through his Forst season there was a debate around who was better of the two. I’m personally happy with this signing

Hang on don’t you usually bang on about giving players a chance?

Not really impressed by this signing tbh main reason being he is 34, lots of experience tho

Decent first time round, was solid if not spectacular but was never awful. A good 7 out of 10 type. Hopefully his legs ain’t gone - if not will do a job in Div 2.

No one is expecting miracles but at least we know on his day he can do a good job.

Steady player who should be more than capable in League 2.

1 Like

I did. The first time he was here.

And I will this time too. That doesn’t mean you can’t be underwhelmed and still support a new player.

It does appear sometimes on here, that if you don’t run around with your ■■■■ out, you are writing a player off before he has kicked a ball :smile:.

1 Like

Got a conditional discharge last time. Got to be careful.

3 Likes

It’s a cracking signing make him captain him and Clarke at the back will be immense imo just need another forward and a winger now !!

I wasn’t that impressed by him during his spell with us. He was okay Iguess. Since then he has become a very good league 1/2 defender though and I’m very happy to have him back. Some people on here though :joy:

1 Like

Clarke will be the captain.

2 Likes