Mat Sadler

I fully respect everyone opinion but it makes me smile how so many come on saying they’re not that impressed with this and that signing etc - can we be realistic about where we are in the footballing hierarchy and what we have at our disposal(£££) etc?

Besides which, formations and first team possibilities are pure conjecture at this stage - let’s see how we (and specific players and tactics) do against the opposition… lots of teams in L2 are restructuring exactly as we are so really, until the seasons underway how can we really judge?

I along with many others, were applauding Russell Martins arrival last season and frankly it ended up being the catalyst to our downturn in form, loss of team ethic and subsequent management chaos…

Just my opinion :thinking:

3 Likes

Decent

Sadler is the difference between mid table and top 10 for me. We needed more experience in the back line and in a three with Clarke and Kory we will have the best defence in League 2 for me.

Sadler was POTY for Shrewsbury not so long back, was made captain of a side which just missed out on promotion from League 1 - his best days are behind him granted but he is exactly what we need right now.

Shrewsbury fans were annoyed when he left and felt he was still their best CB in League 1.

1 Like

I see this as a perfect signing to give Kory Roberts enough time hopefully to get back to full fitness and even more hopefully to the levels of performance he was having before the injury.

In Sadler we have one of those players that you just know what you’re going to get from him every appearance. Reliability!!

2 Likes

So 3-5-2 is on then and unlike Whitney DC is pretty much making all the signings so there’s no other option but to play it.

Did he play much for Sloppies last year? Might need to get his fitness up but can’t fault the thinking, can be experienced head as one of the CBs and also fill in at LB if Pring is injured/loss of form.

Played pretty much every game prior to Ricketts coming in I think and then suddenly got dropped.

2 Likes

A great signing for no other reason than we can once again roll out:
“Sadler is a Saddler”

1 Like

Excellent signing, will add experience and a calm head in that back three. Our defence looks really solid now.

Not sure how @el_nombre can base his opinion on a player seven years ago but rubbish @geordiesaddler’s point that he was good 3 years ago. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that Sadler was very good for Shrews.

With age comes experience, and in a young squad that’ll be as vital as anything else @el_nombre thinks Sadler won’t bring to the table now he’s no longer in his twenties🤷‍♂️

2 Likes

I didn’t rubbish his point at all! I just said I wasn’t impressed the first time and now he’s 34 years old.

As I’ve said, repeatedly, I hope Geordie is right but this one just doesn’t fill me with excitement.

Jesus Christ. Clearly we are not allowed to form our own opinion.

You are. Your opinion is just devalued when you contradict yourself.

A lot of lower league players inprove with age , because where they lack talent they make up with experience.

P.s not all though :blush:

Funny how he doesn’t like a taste of his own medicine isn’t it :joy::joy::joy:

He’s ruined many a thread criticising others opinions.

2 Likes

How have I?

Disagreeing with something is a bit different to @ me into posts simply because you disagree and making out I’m being unreasonable.

I know it’s hard for you to understand.

Yes mate really hard :+1:t2:

Interesting thread.

To be fair, apart the moment of madness yesterday he’s been relatively fine and was particularly excellent against Northampton.

We’ve got far bigger problems than Mat Sadler.

1 Like

He’s been slow and ponderous and yesterdays misread was another example. Same against Leyton Orient.

Most players were excellent against Northampton. It was our only display of the season.

1 Like

He didn’t even play against Orient…

I meant Salford. Hard to keep up with Clarke’s ever changing squads.

1 Like