Matt Taylor in The Athletic

Better choice of article to share this time. Good read

1 Like

Cheers @RobHarv3y. Not long stopped subscribing so it was typical there would be a Walsall story. Great read, he speaks so well. Proper football man, not some idiot with an ego.

7 Likes

Matt comes over really well. A touch of humility goes a long way after “look at all my badges Clarke”. I wish him all the best.

1 Like

has MT ever said “i win football matches, thats what i do” :joy:

6 Likes

There is just so massive a contrast between his understated confidence, and the constant urge both Clarke and Dutton had to big themselves up. I want him to succeed, not just for Walsall’s sake, but because I think MT deserves success.

10 Likes

You can just tell that one was so insecure about his own ability and his own confidence deep down that he had to keep reassuring fans and himself.

The other knows what it actually takes and quietly goes about his day knowing it isn’t what headline he can create or how he can answer a journalist back that will win matches.

7 Likes

I think what really sets Matt apart from most of the managers we’ve had lately, he was a quality player with a real thirst and knowledge of the game. He’s going to be the same as a manager, surround yourself with a quality spine and blend a mixture of youth and experience, play out from the back with an attacking brand of football to entertain the fans.
I have a strong felling we’re not going to be too defensive under MT’s leadership, he’s all about moving the ball forward and not getting to the opponents penalty area, passing the ball back to our goalkeeper like our national team does!

4 Likes

Great article, thanks for sharing.

The thing i like about Taylor is, he perfectly bridges the new generational gap. He feels like a modern manager, something Walsall havent had since Smith.

He was a technically gifted player, but he was in some sides that were hard as nails too and knew how to win. Only drifting down the leagues due to the legs going i suspect.

As for his experience in the tracksuit, your no mug if Spurs are trusting you to coach those young lads they spunk tonnes of dough on. I still think he’s a bit of a coup to prize him away from a nice cushty gig.

6 Likes