Matt Taylor: Walsall at risk of losing loan stars

Think you are right, i’ve just looked back to when we signed Shade and Miller. Both described as season long but no mention of no recall. I think most of of us thought season long to be just that.

There’s so much naiivity on this site, it’s worrying!
Whose to say the club is paying the wages of these loanees? They might only be covering win bonuses, or maybe a small percentage of their earnings. Would they tell fans if that were the case? Of course not.
They may not want us to know the true picture about the club’s finances, despite LP’s assurances that all’s well.
Therefore, the 5 players in question, nor Walsall FC, will have any control when or if they are recalled by their parent clubs.

Please dont worry about me.

That was my initial thought too.

It is hard to imagine any of those on loan to us can have much to be unhappy with during their time here so far.

Who do we have on loan from Burton? I can’t think of anyone, who have I missed? I know Leaks brother plays for Burton but I’m sure Tom is ours.

The DOF should have any potential return of loan players covered , it’s his job to make sure that the coaching staff have a full squad.

Rushworth would be a big loss, rose is an OK replacement. Phillips I like him but against Salford scored a great goal but then disappeared didn’t run at them again, miller like the Lad but no support and has to creat most of his chances himself. Mayo think he can be a good solid player but back four need to stop leaking goals.

Shade the only one I would get rid off, he not shown anything he has the ability but no interest in playing for us.

Shade definitely hasn’t lived up to his debut, I think he’s lacking confidence due to his inability to take on defenders. The other loanees have done well, Miller and Rollin can stay if they like.

1 Like

I have the same memory of it as you - someone from the club saying that we’d got something a bit stronger for at least some of the loans. Not just “season long” (as opposed to January then need to renew) but even talk of money being exchanged to ensure no recall. Or was it just speculation on here that we’ve got mixed up with those fact thingies?

I understand that they might be rare across the wider loan system but I don’t think they are unheard of - I’ve even managed to find an article with Dean Smith (while he was still here) talking about loans with “no recall” clauses.

Whatever, @mattycooper has already shown that this is just paper talk and not a real threat (or rather it wasn’t a real threat, but now several other media outlets have picked up and extrapolated on it from the E&S article so it might escalate into one?)

Menayse and Miller should be within the clubs capabilities of signing full time. I know it isn’t just as simple as that but they should be trying, they are the kind of players we want at Walsall. Not world beaters by any means but definitely good enough for where we are now and likely to be for a while yet. Maybe Phillips too. As far as I know you can make a bid and do deals with the players anytime, they just won’t sign full time until the next transfer window. If we don’t sign them then they are going to need to be replaced at some point and then we have to try and find players of the same quality, let’s face it our track record isn’t so good. Who knows we may already be looking into it, it would be nice to start to act like a club that is serious about the things it is saying.

Thinking about the Menayse deal, surely they could have had a loan with an agreement to buy when they loaned him, unless he is out of contract at the end of the season ?

3 Likes

It’s naive to think all loanees are cheap.

Clubs won’t let you have their player if it’s not worth their while.

2 Likes

Sorry Jumbo - I meant Mansfield- obviously the Clough connection got me confused.

1 Like

For me , Phillips is key . He can unlock defences , has pace , skill and strength . He’s just getting started and has 4 goals already . There’s real technical ability there . Can’t see us getting him signed as our player but to get him all season as planned would be amazing I think . I reckon he’d finish with 15-20 goals even from out wide .

Miller is a wiling CF who fits the bill for us right now and would be a welcome signing . I think his level will end up being Div 4 or 3 when he’s fully established .

Mayo - there’s a reason he’s Mansfield 4th choice ; he gets caught out of position too much but there’s a decent player in there and I would also welcome him fill time .

Rushworth , every game is a bonus , well capable of playing at levels above

Shade looks far too typical of the Premier League U 23 style player who comes our way - not ready , not up to the job of the reality of Div 4 football. Hope he proves me wrong but not fussed if he stays or goes .

3 Likes

Miller- pay money to sign if we have to simple. Guy has made a huge difference having a good player uptop.
Phillips- sign getting better. In and out of games a lot but very young and will be a good player in the future. A lot of potential
Mayo- sign. Our best centre back
Rusworth- no hells in chance we’re getting near to signing him. Obv keep if the oppertunoty arose.
Shade- let him go. Has shown nothing to me so far. Outshone by Phillips on the wing who’s not a winger and kiernan who’s from non league really. Hasn’t shown potential for me either

2 Likes

I disagree to some extent with your last point. He lacks experience and sometimes looks lost but Adebayo was similar at the start of his time with us. I am not saying this lad will develop in the same way but I would give him a few more games before coming to any final conclusion about his abilities.I wonder sometimes if he would be better played down the middle where his height and power would be more useful. Perhaps it should be tried in the Papa Johns if only for half an hour or so.

4 Likes

Way too early to be writing Shade off like some are, the kid has started just FIVE games for us! Those being his only 5 games at EFL level whereas Menayese, Miller and Phillips all have varying levels of experience so Shade probably is going to take more time to get used to it?

Give him more time and he could well be a valuable option for us. Just being on the bench on Saturday was an option, which Taylor used, as opposed to the like of Bates or Willis (before his loan out) who I don’t think Taylor was ever going to use from the bench and seemed to be there to make up the numbers.

7 Likes

I am hoping he comes good but I rated adebayo from the start and always said he had something just needed to work.
I don’t see a lot in him at the moment and he is struggling to adapt and imo he doesn’t work hard either from what I’ve seen.
Hope he comes good and grows in the role with experience and confidence and proves me wrong!

And that’s why I was sceptical to begin with.

Yep, I can’t stand how “look at Adebayo, nobody rated him” has become a thing. I was saying 6 months in that the pelters he was getting were over the top and if you actually watched him play, rather than going off a goal tally, there was clearly a player there.

The other big difference is Adebayo was our player. We worked out the cobwebs and saw the benefit. If we do that with Shade it won’t be us who reaps the benefit.

1 Like

Agree with this. A few of us said at Northampton just how good his touch was. He could never strike it properly but that’s often the case for lanky players.