Media Change

Me too Mazza. Sometimes have a look whilst having a pint and a cob on a Saturday in the Pretty Bricks and hardly anything local in it now and most of the items are lifted from the nationals.
Just a boring rag that i wouldn`t pay a penny for.

They have representatives knock on our doors regularly asking us to sign up to a direct debit, and get it delivered free for the first few months, in the hope that you can’t then be bothered to cancel it when the delivery charges kick in.

Sports pull out is still excellent on a Monday, miles ahead of the awful Meaning Evil offer (which ceased actually reporting on Walsall matches a few years back).

Nothing will ever beat Sports Argus of course. Belongs to a different age but that was great picking up at 7pm at latest on a Saturday.

2 Likes

I’d like to see Ancient Moaner, sorry I mean Worsul4eva get the job. The match preview would put a couple of thousand on the gate for sure.

2 Likes

I preferred the Argus to the Sporting Star. We actually got better coverage, even though Walsall is more Black Country than Birmingham.

4 Likes

To the two Gents that replied to my comment, I’m so worried that we could go the same way as Notts County right now I really don’t care what reporter the express and star employ. I said at the beginning of my original comment, Joe seems a nice guy and I very much wish him and his family all the best of which I am sure he will read this comment at some point. Like always on social media it’s all about subjectivity. You two guys shouldn’t take exception to my thoughts and feelings about Joe Masi, as I repeat when I first knew about Joe I assumed the way he spoke about our team he was a supporter (naive I know) but as soon as I saw one of his tweets about his affiliation towards Ipswich Town every post match report in his videos I looked at him and thought do you feel the pain as much as I do as Walsall FC were relegated they are my team.

I would say I concede to @Gavin77 that I agree with your point he obviously has a level of affection for our club.

We have way more to be worried about than this poo to be honest.

2 Likes

Bloke rated Luke Leahy, after that there was never any coming back.

2 Likes

Even the E&S seems positively racey compared to some local rags:-

2 Likes

Have to say its sad to see Mr Masi leave. For what was our darkest period supporting the club he managed to stay on both sides of the argument with a touch of class.

Yes he regurgitated stories over a long period of time but given life of a Walsall supporter is pretty dull its hard to imagine how he can get a decent story out every day. Lets be honest everyone just wanted stories on Jeff - he never spoke to the media.

People need to realise that whilst the E&S journos have to ask difficult questions its difficult to do so and keep the club on side.

Big loss for us. He was miles better than Nick Mashiter.

2 Likes

Was it Nick Mashiter doing the job directly before Masi or was there someone else in between?

Matt Maher covered for a while. As others have said it’s a difficult gig covering a lower league football club for a regional paper. Having to write 2 stories a day based on two interviews, no opportunity for investigative or opinion pieces at time sees the journalist simply reproducing the manager’s quotes verbatim. Thought Joe did so well and with a clear passion for the club. Videos and podcasts offered a much needed deeper insight and his own views.

1 Like

I think Nick Mashiter worked at the Express and Star until August 2014. Joe Masi, whom I think has been a very good reporter for Walsall and loves the club, has covered the Saddlers for 4 years. Seems like there was someone in between, Matt Maher possibly?

Anyway, all the best for the future Joe.

If memory serves me right pre-Masi we got a new E&S reporter every season. Maher, Mashiter and I think Steve Madeley, before he too was ‘promoted’ to the Hawthorns. Madeley has actually made way for Masi by going over to cover WBA for The Athletic, the new subscription model sports news website, that seems to be grabbing journos from everywhere.

Not fussed to be honest. His ‘love’ always sounded a bit forced on the podcast and the only thing I ever learnt from him was that George Dobson was a ‘lovely lad’.

2 Likes

I think he’s been been a good servant to the supporters despite editorial restrictions and does have a genuine affinity for the club, so if covering West Brom is considered to be a promotion, he certainly deserves it.

That said, Joe did once made a complaint to one of the moderators regarding a thread on UTS. I contacted him and offered the opportunity to discuss the issue but he didn’t have the courtesy to reply. Lost a little respect for him at that point.

2 Likes

I liked Joe Massi. He’s a nice man and a good reporter, he may be an Ipswich fan, but there’s a whole lot of Walsall in his heart too. I wish him all the best.

Bring back Tony Butler…okay.

On yer bike :wink:

Paul Marston!

Trevor Gedge.

2 Likes