Mike Ashley

Bloke’s a proper shithouse, and not much point comparing him with others allegedly even more sinister and nefarious than him.

Even if we were willing to dump Pomlett, we can do better than someone so dubious surely.

1 Like

No from me. I don’t us to end up in The Premier League courtesy of being a rich mans ego trip.

3 Likes

Especially having ended up in division three courtesy of a rich man’s ego trip.

7 Likes

Prefer to think of it as one man’s skullduggery.

Agree. Premiership courtesy of a Workers’ Cooperative!

No thanks.

No ambition for the club?

Just like Bonser et al!

Nothing to do with that really. I prefer us as we are - a lower league club that might get to the second tier every so often. I don’t want to support a PL club.

2 Likes

I basically agree but would love us to be an established championship club, the days when we could attract Samways were good!

3 Likes

That would be my ideal too. Good cup runs with the occasional giant killing would be welcome too.

2 Likes

Some people on here are absolutely unbelievable , when WFC were doing well the anti Bonser brigade were noticeable by their absence .
Can’t believe we have so many supporters who seem so righteous , if and it’s a massive if Ashley did pick Walsall would people really not want him .
Virtually every club who have any success will have a rich benefactor and whatever you think about him he is a legitimate successful business man , with real funds unlike many of the so called people who take over clubs
Is he really any worse than lots of
the dodgy club owners ie Chelsea Man utd , Man city plus many more.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he is a Angel but he is no worse than many , let’s face it if you have any aspirations of real progress it’s probably the only way forward .
I don’t believe that there is a cat in hell’s chance of him coming here but if there is any chance of it happening , why not ?
We are no different from any other small club and to potentially stop any possible progression simply on some so called ethical reasons seems a bit ridiculous , would it be the same mind set if a betting company wanted to put loads of money in , or some dodgy Middle East / Far East business as lots of clubs currently have .

8 Likes

I think you’ve answered your own question: what do we stand for?

A community club with the fans at its heart, or the plaything of whatever dubious wealthy owner chooses to drop by.

Some things have a value above and beyond the financial.
For me, Walsall FC is one of them. Not success at a price not worth paying.

3 Likes

Yes it would be the same if it was up to me. Of course its not so if Ashley or someone from the middle East turned up in Walsall it would happen whether or not I agreed with it. My opinion was asked and I gave it.

I also don’t really think you can say that the anti-Bonser brigade has ever been truly absent (plenty of demonstrations when we were performing well), its just that those sentiments get amplified when the team is also playing badly.

Would I like to see us compete higher in the leagues? Yes. Would I like to see some excitement around the place as we take the occasional financial gamble for promotion (keeping Dann for example)? Yes. Do I want us to be a Portsmouth, risking it all for an FA Cup final. No.

For me LP is the kind of owner I would like. Decent businessman who hasn’t screwed anyone over. It would be great if we had a little more money to compete better in the League 2 market of course and I’m still hopeful that those investers can be found.

7 Likes

I actually emailled him on 29.05.19 ( pre-Pomlett) when a Newcastle deal was on the table and he was close to selling up.

I think he would be a perfect owner for a club of our size

2 Likes

Long term systematic siphoning of funds would probably be a more accurate description than skulduggery

2 Likes

Did he get back to you?

No mate, hopefully he was pished when he read it and woke up and thought it was his own good idea …the sunday market will just turn into a slum clearance outlet for stuff even Sports Direct cant nearly give away

1 Like

He probably has someone who reads his emails for him, and didn’t bother to tell him? oh well his loss, unless he had the idea all along and didn’t want it getting out :grin:

Leaving aside personal abuse from those that have never met the bloke, and keeping roughly on topic in respect of Ashley the owner of a football club there are the following facts followed by my comment.

1. Ashley bailed Newcastle out to the tune of ove £120 million when he took over.
    c) Newcaste were well on their way to “doing a Leeds” as a result of their snowballing debt.
  2. Ashley opened up matchday attendance to a whole new generation of young fans and families that re-connected NUFC with its long since disenfranchised traditional support base. Family tickets for £30 quid a month on an 8 year price freeze, regular £10 and £5 single match tickets.
    c) Yes that’s what he did as I’ve experienced all scenarios personally.
  3. Newcastle United’s community program is outstanding.
    c) Yes it is, again from personal experience.
  4. Ashley appoints crap managers and never listens to the fans.
    c) He appointed the two managers NUFC fans wanted in Keegan and Shearer, they were both failures. He then appointed Chris Hughton who was superb, made a massive gamble in getting rid but actually much maligned Pardew did rather well, Carver (another geordie) and mclaren were disasters, but then he appointed Benitez AT NEWCASTLE!! Followed by Bruce yet another geordie. Mixed but isn’t that the record of most owners.
  5. Ashley doesn’t put money in the club he takes it out.
    c) Patently wrong, he took on the debts when he took over, personally financed the two Championship winning teams by way of taking responsibiity for his failings as owner of a relegated club, the second time to the backdrop of having personal abuse hurled at him at every game.
  6. Only a comment here. I’ve never met Mike Ashley, probably neither has anyone on here that’s slagging him off. One thing he’s got in him is an apology when he gets something wrong. Now that might not mean much to many people, but that’s a rare and admirable attribute in my book.
12 Likes

Careful don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

2 Likes